Menu

Advice Needed: Contracting TB while pregnant!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tinker Bell Posts: 875
Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone can give me advice! I went to vist FIL in hospital yesterday and after being there for nearly 2 hours the nurse informs us that FIL is positive for TB. He's not in isolation and the information given to us at the time was not very clear (as in we got such a shock that we couldn't take in all the information they were telling us). Surely if he had TB he'd be in isolation and they wouldn't permit visitors. I have an appointment with my own doctor tomorrow afternoon (the earliest I could get), but I'm worried that even if I don't have it and don't visit FIL anymore, wouldn't I still be at risk if DH visits him and brings it home with him. Very confused and worried, any advice or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated girls :thnk
theoracle Posts: 7664
Sorry to hear about your situation. The question is what type of TB did he test positive for. TB in kidneys or in spine is not contagious. Also TB that is a latent and not active infection is not contagious. If he has the classic pulmonary TB and an active infection, yes that would be contegious and in that case I would expect your FIL to be isolated. Can your DH get more information about what type of TB was found? Good news is that even if the worst is true, you can be treated with no effect to your baby. I hope that helps, I just hope this is not the case and that your FIL has one of the two cases mentioned at the begining. Good luck pet!
Thanks for the reply, I'm up the wall here with worry. As far as we know it's in his lung but were still getting conflicting information from the hospital. MIL is furious as she has enfazema (sp??) and is also at high risk. She's currently in the hospital waiting to see the doctors as we speak so I should know exactly what's going on by 1.30 today, she's going to ring me when she's finished with the doctor. I didn't sleep a wink last night and it's so quiet in work today. If it was busy I wouldn't be thinking / worrying so much as work would be taking my mind off things. Once again thanks a million for you reply, it's greatly appreciated. :thnk
Oh dear. Hope the news is good, you don't need all that stress! I can't believe how flippant they seem to be with regards to your FIL's condition... Fingers crossed.
[b:oiti4p9w]Quick Update:[/b:oiti4p9w] I'm just off the phone with MIL and apparently he's not infected, thank god for both him and anyone else who'd been to visit him recently. Apparently he suffered from this years ago and once you suffered from it in the past it will always show up in the tests (kind of like scaring from originally contracting it). The doctors are going mental as the information was devulged by a nurse who has no authorisation to pass on any medical information to family at any time, only the doctors and ward sisters are authorised to do this as they know what information to pass to the family and what not. So thankfully I don't need to get tested, but I'm thinking I might just pay the doctor a visit and see about taking some time out to try and destress myself. But thanks for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it :thnk
Oh, that is a relief. It makes much more sense though. I wouldn't think they would just let him infect people if he had active TB! That is the latent infection I was referring to... shame they gave you such a scare by just giving you a fragment of info! Good luck with rest of the pregnancy!