advice needed!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mummytime Posts: 3149
Hi All I am 5 weeks pg and due on 25th/26th April. We decided to go private in holles street and began ringing around this morning to book a consultant. 25 phone calls later and having being informed that every single consultant with holles street was booked up for April, i started to panic (well panicing started after the second phone call....) I asked a couple of the consultant's secretaries for advise and one of them said try the coombe or the rotunda. I realy wanted to go to holles street though and anyway all the consultants with the coombe and rotunda are probably booked out also so i did a very bad thing and rang back one of the consultants secretaries and told them i was due on May 1st (another of the secretaries which i asked for advise recommended doing this) and hey presto!!!(what a difference a couple of days make) I feel really uncomfortable about securing the services of a consultant in this manner but don't really feel like i had a choice as I really wanted to go private in holles street. my first appointment in october 22nd by which time i will be 12.5 weeks pregnant (i guess they think only 11.5 weeks). That just seems so long away. I have only had my pregnany confirmed with me by adoctor on Monday. Should I not be getting soem kind of check up or even advsie wbout the do's and don't of pregnancy before then. Trying not to get stressed out about this preganancy as I know that won't do the baby any good however finding it all a bit overwhelming. By the way do you think that i should tell the consultant my real due date or stick with my fictional due date when we eventually meet. I know it's only a difference of a week.I just feel like i have enough secrecy to cope with at the moment without keeping my consultant in the dark as well hope to god soembody can reassure me and tell me I am just completely overreacting to all of this!!!!!!!! hubby is in meetings all morning as well so he doesn't have a clue what's going on..probbaly thinks I just booked the first consultant on the list....
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
This is perfectable normal and don't be worried about it. You'd be surprised how many people lie about dates to get in with a gyne. Just be glad you got your scan date and look forward to it. Go see your GP again when you are 8 weeks. You should be seeing either GP or Gyne every 4 weeks.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Agree with LMS. Don't be worried about the hospital. They'll be able to tell you at the scan when your due date is and you can just pretend you got your dates wrong - happens most of us! I met my gp to confirm preg at 4 weeks. gp didn't even to a test or take blood pressure or anything like that. Next app was for a scan and it wasn't until I was 14/15 weeks. I was told I should see GP or consultant every 8 weeks until the last 10 weeks or so and then it's every 4 weeks.
newyearbabs Posts: 686
First of all congratulations :o)ll :o)ll I agree with other posters. I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest sure they'll prob change your dates anyway my gp said I was due 15/12 and consultant says 31/12. Its feckn terrible what you have to do to get app. in this feckn country!
satsuma Posts: 182
Absolutely - why not. You will probably not have baby till about then anyway!! Banish the guilt and enjoy your pregnancy!xx
mummytime Posts: 3149
thanks girls, feel so much better now i'm not always this exciteable- honest!!!!
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
I think you did the right thing to get an appt...... BUT make sure you don't lie when giving them your dates then. I had a big discrepency with dates on my previous pregnancy. You can just say oops silly me I must have given wrong dates initially, they're not going to throw you off their books at that stage :o0
chilledout Posts: 834
Don't worry at all. In fact the consultant probably couldn't care less when you're due, its just the secretarys going by the book. As desert moon said, its important not to lie to the consultant about dates. My first appointment wasn't until I was 14 weeks. You don't really need to have many checks in the first few months. Don't apologise for being excitable, its an exciting time!