Advice on dealing with constant dizziness/lightheaded?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

libramoon Posts: 2402
Hi girls I got an odd dizzy spell after getting my BFP but since Saturday I seem to be feeling dizzy/lightheaded all day. I just feel like I'm on a boat thats moving very slowly! My sister had this a bit when she was preg with my niece so she said to try and eat food that is high in good sugars every two hours like fruit, rice cakes etc. So I've been doing this along with lying down when I can - both I find help for a short while but then the dizziness returns. I seem to be grand in the evening after I've eaten a big dinner so maybe I'm not eating enough? I'm a veggie also so I guess there is a chance it could be from lack of iron too. I'm seeing my GP on Thurs so I will say it to her then but I guess its just one of those things I might have to put up with! Anyone else in the same boat (pardon the pun :o0 ) LM x
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
In my first two maybe three weeks I was suffering with this. Interestingly I'm a veggie too. I had to eat way more than usual and I would be a big eater anyway. That really seemed to help the dizzy feeling which was more than a 'spell'. Now that I can barely keep anything down at all due to horrific morning sickness I am finding myself dizzy again so I think for me it was food related. Also feel a bit 'spaced' sometimes.
Twirl Posts: 5598
I had this too. The few days before my AF was due i was lightheaded and just felt slightly off balance. It happened a few times after i found out too but wasnt too bad, i think its very normal. Hope you are feeling well apart from that.
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I suffered from this alot on last pregnancy. It progressed to fainting. Anyway I tried loads of thing (eating small amounts regularly reduced the problem but didn't solve it). It only stopped when I started taking Iron supplements. But don't start them without the advice from doctor or midwife. Another cause of dizziness can be low or high blood pressure.
Thanks for all your help girls. I do find it gets better after I eat but its only good for a couple of hours. I'm seeing my GP tomor to get bloods done so I'll ask her about it. I'll let ye know what she says *)
Well, doc just asked me if I needed a sick cert for work. I guess there isn't much she can advise anyways and I'll just have to put up with the dizziness which isn't as bad now. The nurse tested my blood and ketones were high so she said I'm not eating enough. The morning or all day sickness has kicked in big time now. I've spent the last 3 days in my pjs. Got sick yesterday after lunch but most of the time I'm just dry retching. I can't move but I get the gawks! Doc said because I'm on progesterone support the extra progesterone might be making me feel worse too but obviously its better to be on the support. I can't see myself able for work tomor to be honest and I don't know how some women keep going! I know its all good to get such strong symptoms and I had NOTHING like this last pregnancy before I MC'd so I am happy. I'm just a bit worn out too! Going to get Vitamin B6 today and we'll see if that helps.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
dehydration can cause low BP which can cause dizziness like you are describing. i had awful MS when pg with DS2 and this is what happened to me, and i fainted in work several times before i realised what it was. make sure and drink lots of water to replace fluids. eating little and often will help with both this and with the nausea too. and of course lots of rest. get signed off work for a bit if it gets really bad too.. the last thing you want is to faint or fall and hurt yourself or the baby. feel better soon xo
rosie_mama, nurse said BP was fine but yeah I'd say I need to eat more often and I am drinking a lot of water since water with ice is making me feel a bit better. Yeah, I am afraid of fainting alright and even thou I can work from home I'm still up and down the stairs all day. I'm sure it was scary fainting at work. Thanks for the advice.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
If your ketones are high are you are suffering MS don't worry about the food - not sure why she said you're not eating enough. High ketones are a sign of dehydration so the key is fluids - I had hyperemesis up to 21 weeks (fingers crossed) and the doctor said even if I was to eat nothing but keep the fluids up I should avoid dehydration and baby would get what it needs from me! If you're sick there's no point trying to force yourself to eat :thnk
ohsotired, you might be on to something there. The dizziness could be from dehydration too. I'll up the water intake so. I am finding it so hard to eat so it def would take the pressure off if all I need is water! Thanks :thnk