Advice on flying

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anon_TTC2 Posts: 2
Hi Girls, Can I get your opinions, Am due to fly to England, but we are TTC at the moment. When I fly back I will be due AF the day after we get back. If test is positive, it will mean I will be pregnant flying out and back, and of course, I won't know. Do you think this will harm the baby - flying over and back. Thanks.
totalnovice Posts: 787
There is no worry about flying until you are approx 32 - 36 weeks pregnant. Apparently the flying itself is never a problem its just being out of contact with a doctor or hospital while in the air. So no need to worry - i have flown around 5 times on this pregnancy and was fine each time. If there is a history or miscarriage or having an abnormal pregnancy this may change things.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Would def agree flying really is no problem when ur pg they only don't like u flying after 32 weeks in case u go into labour really !!!
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I was told by my doc not to fly for the first 8 weeks. Also told by my midwife. Ask your doc to be sure because I am sure that it's different for everyone.
delgirl Posts: 1706
I live in the Uk and flew home to Ireland loads when I was pregnant including at 5 weeks to tell my parents. I asked my doctor and was never advised not to fly before 8 weeks?
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
To be honest, I know nothing about pregnancy and kids etc so I can't really give much advice other than a mate of mine recently announced to me she was pregnant - this was when she was 7 weeks. She came down to me by car from Sydney and when I asked her why as opposed to flying she said her doc told her she shouldn't fly in the first few weeks. At the time I was surprised as I'd never heard that before - always was in ref to the last trimester etc.. but I'm sure you'll be fine - God - our mothers and grandmothers all probably did lots of things the professionals nowadays say are 'incorrect/unsafe' but we've all turned out 'reasonably' (twitches head) ok... :wv
mrssunflower Posts: 3651
I flew a 10 hour flight when I was 10 weeks and I was fine. The doc told me I'd be fine too and that they normally don't allow flying in the last few weeks. Just make sure you are well hydrated for the entire flight.
Anon_TTC2 Posts: 2
Thanks Girls :thnk I know I am get way ahead of myself as I may not even be pregnant! But my head was just all over the place, thinking if I was, would I be doing the right thing. Silly I know. But thank you, you are after putting my mind at ease.
babybrain Posts: 592
If you are only due AF the day after you get back you'll barely be pregnant at all, so there's absolutely no problem at all with flying so no need to worry. ps: I hope you do get your BFP :-) The only reason you would be advised not to fly when pregnant is if you've had previous miscarriages (again flying will not cause these, but as previous poster said, it's being away from hospital), if you suffer from Deep Vein Thrombosis or there is another medical reason why you shouldn't fly. Unless there is a specific medical reason, there's no problem at all with flying. I was due to fly long haul to work during first trimester so had asked my doctor about this. There is nothing about flying that will cause any problems with pregnancy, it only might be uncomfortable if you're suffering from morning sickness or something.
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
[quote="babybrain":2cn5rkeu] The only reason you would be advised not to fly when pregnant is if you've had previous miscarriages [/quote:2cn5rkeu] Ok - yes this makes sense with my aforementioned friend - she unfortunatly has MC before.