Menu

Advice on professional qualifications

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

morningsun Posts: 784
I would like to get some thoughts on the following please! I have 2 professional qualifications. The first is grand and I am using it constantly so happy to keep that up. The second cost me 6k out of my own pocket and I have never used it. It's not required in my current role and tbh I don't know if it will ever be useful for me :o( annoying after the amount of money I spent. The problem lies in the fact that membership to this institute is €350 a year which I have been paying out my own pocket. On top of that I will now have to pay to do around 20 hours of courses a year as membership requires continuous professional development. The courses will probably cost upwards of €750 aswell as getting time off work. I don't know whether to maintain membership of the second institute. On one hand it cost so much and I worked so hard to attain membership. On the other I could be throwing money down the drain for a qualification I will never use. Any thoughts?
lstars Posts: 1199
can you temporarily cease the membership? so you still have the qualification and can put on your cv and if you need it or go into that field you can be a member at that later stage or can it work like that? is it totally unrelated to your first field?
I looked into pausing membership but I can't. There is no flexibility there whatsoever. If I stop paying now I would have to take it off the cv and would have to do all the exams again if I wanted to rejoin this field. It's a similar field to the first one but a different branch. There is the added complication that its the sort of qualification that can end up out of date by not using it.
that's really crap. I'm actually pursuing another field atm and if exams passed prob similar situ...but I just assumed you can still hold the qualification and just be a non practicing member... are you interested in moving into that branch any time soon? it would be mad to waste so much time, money and effort...!? or is there few jobs in that area?
Thanks glad someone else thinks its crap aswell :o0 I would love a job in this area but I just can't see it happening :o( at the time I did the course it was a good area to be in but not anymore. I am currently holding a qualification as a non-practising member but this is my first year needing to pay for the courses. I'm so torn as it was so much time and effort to get it but don't wanna throw good money after bad!
I totally appreciate your situation!!! its so fecking hard when you had ploughed mad amounts of money into a qualification for it just to mean shag all atm.and if there Is the job in that field you need "min x years of experience" ... sorry am if no help!! ps- what area it in or would you rather not say?
SGirl Posts: 2542
Hi, I read this post yesterday and had to have a bit of a think about it.TBH I would keep it up if I just had to pay money each year- which is in itself a huge pain in the backside but if you have to spend time on courses too, then maybe I would consider not bothering. It is hard to cut your losses but I would really resent studying something that no longer interested me/ rewardedme. Can you do refresher exams in years to come if you don't keep your registration up? If so, that is what I would do. HTH.
expecting no3 Posts: 623
Hey, Im an accountant myself and I think a lot of people saw it as a natural progression to do the second set of exams that you completed. i considered it myself but then thought against it as you really need to be practising in the area to get any benefit from it and like everything else if you dont use the knowledge on a daily basis you tend to lose it. I think you should just cut your losses and let it go. i think purely as an acc you get the best of both worlds in the sense that you do get to touch on a little bit of the area (sorry trying not to replicate your quals as i know you want to delete the post) albeit not to the same degree that you would if you worked in it fulltime. I have let my acc qual lapse. Im not working at the moment and cant justify paying the money for the yearly m'ship fee and the CPD but i will have the option down the line to renew my m'ship without having to resit all the exams again. i would maybe just double check that. Its a lot of money to throw away each year for a qual that you dont use and also the fact that you are hanging on to it just because you sat the exams. At the end of the day you know that you sat them and achieved the goal for yourself. You can be proud of your achievement even if you are no longer a member of the club so to speak. Best of luck with your decision.
I asked about letting membership lapse but if I do that I think that I will have to resit all the exams again. do you know I think ye are right girls and i should just let it go. Realistically I hope to be in my current job for the next few years and eventually a sahm so I am thinking this is not going to benefit me in the forseeable future. Especially as my ideal job (for Revenue!) hasn't a hope of happening :o0 I think I just needed a push to give it up as I did work hard for it only a couple of years ago and paid alot of money so its a sickener. But then again if I do go for a job in this field ever again I could say that I did the exams and explain my reasons for giving up membership... thanks this really did help :thnk