Menu

Advice re Steriod injections and low fluid.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DrWhosPoopy Posts: 654
Hey girls, Just back from my scan and don't know what to think. Baby is fine, putting on weight but they still say she's very small (3lbs 13oz) anyway, they also said fluid is very low, and there's signs that placenta isn't working as well as it should. They then sent me to get steriod injections to mature Poppys lungs, and i've to go back tomorrow for the second round of these and then back on friday for another scan to see how everything is. My sis reckons they'll induce me very soon. I'm terrified. Does anyone have any experience or advice? :o(
first-timer Posts: 463
[quote="Dr Whos Poopy":1bxtsv8n]Hey girls, Just back from my scan and don't know what to think. Baby is fine, putting on weight but they still say she's very small (3lbs 13oz) anyway, they also said fluid is very low, and there's signs that placenta isn't working as well as it should. They then sent me to get steriod injections to mature Poppys lungs, and i've to go back tomorrow for the second round of these and then back on friday for another scan to see how everything is. My sis reckons they'll induce me very soon. I'm terrified. Does anyone have any experience or advice? :o([/quote:1bxtsv8n] no advice but wanted to wish u best of luck. also your ticker says that at that gestation the baby weighs just over 4lb and your little LO is 3lb 13oz so i would see that as close enough no? also as the scans are not v. accuarate weight wise!! they told me my LO was 9lb 3oz and he was 11lb 2oz!! so i wouldnt get too worked up. your babies weight seems good for thatt gestation to me, and anyway babies weights vary so much even when they are born! lots of people have 6lb/7lb babies and i had an 11lb one and they are all just was healthy as each other!!
wab0607 Posts: 213
My DS attempted an early arrival at 34 weeks but the labour was successfully halted. They gave me the steroid injections for his lungs at that stage. He arrived exactly 2 weeks later at 36w weighing 6lbs 9oz. The steroids really stood to him as he did not need to spend a single minute in neo natal. His weight did drop to 5lbs 15oz by the time we went home. His blood sugars were low and my milk was taking a while to come through so we topped up with formula for the first few days. The PHN called every few days for the fist week or so to keep an eye on his weight but it improved steadily and he is fine now at 15 months.
Thanks for the replies girls. She asked me if i'd been leaking at all, and as far as i'm aware i haven't been, surely i'd notice if i was? I've had increased discharge alright, but nothing resembling a show or anything. I'm just worried as at first she said they may have to give these injections in a week or so, come back next week for a scan to check fluid but then she asked me to wait outside while she called the cons and then all of a sudden i had to have them straight away and back for a scan this friday instead of next week. It just felt like they weren't giving me the whole story. I'm not too worried about Poppys size, she's at a good stage where if i did have to go early she'd be ok... I just feel like they're holding back and i want to be prepared if they are going to section me or whatever.
cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
Had a similar situation to you pet, had a bleed at 26 weeks and they noticed a week later that babs was very small but my fluid was ok. I was in hosp for a week then got out but was in 4 days per week having tests and then she stopped growing at 31 weeks at this stage I had been admitted into hosp and they delivered her soon after-she was small at 3 and half pounds. If she had continued growing at all they would have left her in there and monitered me but as I said she stopped altogether and my placenta was not functioning properly. They used to do a doppler blood flow test to make sure the blood was flowing the right way to the placenta (ie not reversing)and also a BPP which is like an apghar scale but done in the womb and baba gets a score out of 8, also non stress tests which is a tracing of the baby's heart beat. You might hear these phrases over the next few days and also the term IUGR but the baby has to meet strict criteria to be classed as this. If they let you home though thats a good sign, if they were really worried or needed to deliver you then theyd' have made you stay in so fingers crossed baba stays put. If you have any questions please ask! By the way this was my experience and pretty rare to have a baby completly stop growing and need to be delivered that early
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
the steroid injections are just a precaution hun. they will monitor you with scans first and baby heart rate tracings. they absolutely will not induce you unless the baby stops growing completely or the fluid is at a v dangerous level. the fact that they are only bringing you in fri is a good sign if they were worried you wouldnt be home trust me. fluid levels can go down for all sorts of reasons and most of which arent overly worrying.
John Walsh Guitar
Thank you so much cheerbearbride and sparkly babe. My mind is a little more at ease now. I'm a worrier at the best of times and tend to always picture worst case scenarios. MIL didn't help last night when she found out, all she wanted to do was tell me horror stories from googling and bundle me up to hosp straight away. I know she only means well tho, and it is the first grandchild on DH side so they're a bit over cautious. Back at clinic today so hopefully they will tell me a bit more then, and back to hosp aftrwards for 2nd injection.
cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
Any news?
mrswed0505 Posts: 444
Hi My water stared to leak alot at 33.5 weeks on DS1. I went to hospital they gave me the steroid injection two days in a row. They told me I had to stay in hopital till i went into labour myself. I was kept in to reduce the chance of infection. So you might be kept in hospital if they think you are loosing your waters but they might not induce you as such just keep an eye on you until you go into labour yourself
Hi again girls. What a week it's been, ended up in hosp over night on thurs with my SVT flaring up very badly. (Another long annoying story!!) Any way, they took me down on Fri morn for scan and were happy enough with the fluid levels, but still need to be kept a close eye on with this and the SVT. I'm booked in for scans twice weekly now, and with the clinic every week also until something changes or if i manage to reach the end! On strict bedrest too so it's very much a case of wait and see now.