Advise: Period Pain!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DaVita Posts: 78
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking for advise. I came off the pill about 4 months ago, just wanted to take a break from it as I've been on it since I was 17. The reason I went on the pill in the first place was because i was getting really bad period pain. Now this month and last month the pain has been getting really bad, its just for the first two days but its getting hard to cope with. It wakes me up during the night, I'm dizzy, queezy (sp), i cant stand up until it passes, which can last an hour at a time. I dont want to have to go back on the pill so does anyone have any recommendations of anything I can do or take to make it a bit easier to cope with? I'm taking nurofen and it doesnt really help. Thanks!
signorina_matrimonio Posts: 1297
I find taking evening primrose oil really helps with the pain (I get bad hormonal pains in my breast) but you have to take them regularly. Also, the good old fashioned hot water bottle is a great relief I find. Sorry to hear your pain - I'm dreading coming off the pill (whenever that will be) - I used to be laid up with retching and the like for 24 hours... :action32
Delish Posts: 4176
Hi, I always thought being generally fit and active was supposed to alleviate bad period pain. Sorry if this isn't much use to you but I think an ongoing healthy diet, staying within recommended weight guidelines and being physically fit will help - not too sure of any short term solutions other than over the counter muscle pain relief and the good ole trusty hot water bottle.
Easy Tiger Posts: 2676
Luckily I don't suffer badly from cramps these days. But I used to. I always found that going out for a walk really helped. It was the last thing I wanted to do, but it was worth it.
23skidoo Posts: 1272
Ughh...I feel your pain, I used to be like that too til I went on the pill. (Was about 16 when I did) Would wake up in the middle of the night physically sick with the pain. The odd time now I get pains I use anadin max strength, you only need to take one of them but it's :lvs *BLISS* :lvs for a good few hours! Just on the subject, did you go to your doc before coming off them or did you just decide to stop taking them? I've been on the pill now for 6 1/2 years and I wanted to take a break about a year and a half ago - doctor told me i'd be better off not to if I wasn't having any problems with it? Just concerned it might affect me in the future with TTC...
jen0808 Posts: 1076
Get yourself some Feminex and a hot water bottle. Feminex is the best medicine ever invented!!!
signorina_matrimonio Posts: 1297
None of my business, and not scaremongering you, but did you tell your doctor how bad the pain was?
DaVita Posts: 78
Hey, thanks for all the replies. Nurofen has kicked in so i can see straight again! I had forgotten about the hot water bottle, thanks for that, its years since i suffered bad period pain. I know what you mean Delish about the exercise and good diet, I've been told that before. Easy Tiger, you're right about the walk but unfortunately I'm in work at the minute but will definitely be going out for a walk tonight. 23 skidoo, no i didnt say anything to my doc about coming off it, do you think i should have? I'd been thinking about it for ages and when my last prescription ran out i didnt bother going back for another one. I'm kind of hoping that i dont have to go back on it again to be honest, at least not for a few years anyway. Signorina Matrimonio, no i havent told my doctor how bad it is recently. When i was 17 i was in agony with it every month, i went to my doctor about it and was referrred to a gynocologist who put me on the pill and the pain stopped. Its not as bad now, then i literally couldnt get out of bed with the pain. But maybe I'll bring it up the next time i go back. Thanks a mil for all the replies girls
Asterope Posts: 147
Hey I hear you. Hot water bottles all the way. The exercise only works if its normal period pain, by the sounds of things you are what I was like before the wonderful pill showed me a life. (and I was super fit and healthy at the time!) Try thermacare heat patches too for when you're in work - they're nice, I use them for another problem I have, but heat can help. The weight of the hot water bottle will help, so use that when you can. I would go back to the doc and ask to be checked out again just in case anything has developed since. hope you feel better soon
architec Posts: 1306
Short term: Hot water bottle, tea and some hardcore painkillers. Long term: evening primrose oil, regular exercise.