Aerlingus or Ryanair?Who do you prefer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

streaks Posts: 3592
Just wondering if any of you have a preference who you fly with or do you care? Usually im a stickler for flying aerlingus wouldn't dream of flying ryanair but im planning a trip in the new year and the rates with ryanair are so much better I'm thinking of booking with them! I do have a fear of flying and for some reason feel safer with aerlingus! so in your opinion are the better rates worth the rush for seats, extra charges, extreme baggage measures etc?!
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Aerlingus all the way for me even if it is sometimes more expensive. It's a nicer experience and more professional IMO.
jess_gal2009 Posts: 1061
Given the choice, Aer Lingus, definately. I HATE the pushing and shoving and the rush to get on the ryanair flights. AT least, you have your seat with Aer Fungus and you don't have to rush into the line. (I'm the type who always sits back and waits for everyone to board, and walk on towards the end.) :-8
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Definitely think the service with Aer Lingus far out-weighs the cattle herding that goes on with Ryanair, however if it's just a short stop across to London (which is where we fly to most often) I usually just go with whoever's cheapest. However on the topic of baggage we flew with Aer Lingus to Portugal for our wedding & couldn't fault their service at all up to the point where it came for me to collect my baggage........and realised the bag was in Spain!!!! Must say though they sorted it straight away & the stewardesses on the flight home were really lovely & went out of their way to be extra nice to us! Just goes to show though that more expensive doesn't always mean perfect service!
streaks Posts: 3592
I've only ever flown once with ryanair and it was years ago so I can barely remember it! Don't have any remembrance of it being terrible so I'm trying to weigh the pros with the cons a short flight: 40min flight aerlingus 250 ryanair 75(95 with priority boarding)
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I prefer Aer Lingus for the allocated seating, more room in the seats and more leniant baggage allowance. Ryanair especially annoys me that I can't carry my handbag or laptop bag in addition to one other item of cabin baggage. All the other stuff I can handle. On saying all that, up until recently us folks in the Mid-West wouldn't have gotten anywhere out of Shannon without Michael O'Leary and his cheap fares airline. As a matter of fact, as an island nation, without Ryanair we may very well be still paying extortinate prices to the UK and Eurpoe. If nothing else he has opened up competition in the market and introduced flights to places we would never have direct flights to otherwise. At the end of the day, I just go with whatever airline is offering the best price from Shannon first, followed by Cork and then Dublin because that's what's most convenient to me. The airline itself doesn't really bother me. With regards your issues with safety....take it from someone who works in the aviation industry, flying is one of the safest methods of transport, the Irish Aviation Authority really is an excellent body in safety regulation and finally Ryanair fleet of aircraft is actually far newer than that of Aer Lingus so you have absolutely nothing to worry about in that regard. :wv
soimarriedanaxemurderer Posts: 932
Neither. I think they're both crap. There is no comfort in air travel at all anymore. But if I have to fly it's Aer Lingus.
stickwoman Posts: 2394
Whoever is cheaper, which means Ryaniar 99% of the time. I used them about a dozen times in the last 2 years and have never had a problem with them. I know people complain about the baggage etc... but they are clear and explicit about what you are allowed to bring with you in hand luggage, so..... I can't understand when people complain if they've carried more than they're supposed to
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="fmh62":1hrkzmag]Aerlingus all the way for me even if it is sometimes more expensive. It's a nicer experience and more professional IMO.[/quote:1hrkzmag] same here
dellyb1 Posts: 2489
i have to say we flew aerlingus there last week for the first time in around 8 years (always ryan air or for hm continental) and we were only commenting the other day on how much more of a pleasant flight the aerlingus one was seat allocation -no queuing for an hr to ensure we sat together space -couldnt get over the leg room in normal seats the padded neck rests were brilliant the staff vert very nice compared to past ryan air experiences in saying all that though we only went with aer lingus because ryan air didnt fly frm shannon that day and kinda peed off as ryan air cut aload of flights from shannon cost will nearly always prevail though for flights up to 4 hrs , so if ryanair had flown the same day for less we prob would choose them for short haul, definantly would book aerlingus again after last weeks flights