After Communion Reflection

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
Just doing up our mass booklets at the minute and I'm wondering anyone thats doing the after communion reflection - what one are you going for? Is there any sites online that give a selection? Has it to be a holy psalm or prayer or can it be a poem (obviously ok'ed by the priest)????????
excitedbride2013 Posts: 205
I've heard both religious and non-religious pieces after communion so not sure .. maybe it is something you could ask the priest? At the most recent wedding I was at they read Seamus Heaney "scaffolding" and everyone let a big awwwww at the end and started clapping...it was lovely. Masons, when they start upon a building, Are careful to test out the scaffolding; Make sure that planks won't slip at busy points, Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints. And yet all this comes down when the job's done Showing off walls of sure and solid stone. So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be Old bridges breaking between you and me Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall Confident that we have built our wall. ...and these are the poems I've been keeping in a word document from prevoius posts/other sites etc: Another version of the Indian (Apache) Blessing Now we feel no rain, for each of us will be shelter to the other. Now we feel no cold, for each of us will be warmth to the other. Now there is no loneliness, for each of us will be a companion to the other. We are two bodies, but there is one life before us and one home. When evening falls, I'll look up and there you will be. I'll take your hand; you'll take mine and we'll turn together To look at the road we traveled to reach this - the hour of our happiness. It stretches behind us, even as the future lies ahead. A long and winding road, whose every turn means discovery. Old hopes, new laughter, shared fears. The adventure has just begun. Apache Blessing - 2 Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years, May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth. Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulties and fear assail your relationship, as they threaten all relationships at one time or another, remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight. WEDDING POEM If you have found a smile that is the sweetest one you’ve known. If you have heard, within a voice, the echoes of your own. If you have felt a touch that stirs the longing of your heart, And still can feel that closeness in the moment you’re apart. If you are filled with wonder at the way two lives can blend, To weave a perfect pattern that is seamless end to end. If you believe some things in life are simply meant to be, Then you have found your soulmate, your hearts own destiny. If you can always be as close and happy as today, Yet be secure enough to grow and change along the way. If you can keep for you alone your love as man and wife, Yet find the time to share your joy with others in your life. If you can be as one and walk through marriage hand in hand, Yet still support the goals and dreams that each of you have planned. If you can dare to always go your separate ways together, Then all the wonders of today will stay with you forever. Traditional Irish Blessing May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of his hand. May God be with you and bless you; May you see your children's children. May you be poor in misfortune, Rich in blessings, May you know nothing but happiness From this day forward. May the road rise to meet you May the wind be always at your back May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home And may the hand of a friend always be near. May green be the grass you walk on, May blue be the skies above you, May pure be the joys that surround you, May true be the hearts that love you. Kahlil Gibran on Marriage From Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet Then Almitra spoke again and said, And what of Marriage, Master? And he answered saying: You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore. You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days. Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God. But let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow. Wedding poem Today is a day you will always remember, a great day in anyone’s life, You start the day just two people in love and end it as husband and wife. It’s a brand new beginning, the start of a journey, with moments to cherish and treasure, And although there’ll be times when you both disagree, these will surely be out weighed by pleasure. You’ll have heard many words of advice in the past, when the secrets of marriage were spoken, But now you know that the answers lie hidden inside, where the bond of true love lies unbroken. So live happy forever as lovers and friends, It’s the dawn of a new life for you, as you stand there together with love in your eyes from the moment you whisper “I Do”. And with luck, and God’s help, all your hopes and dreams can be real, may success find it’s way to your hearts. Tomorrow can bring you the greatest of joys, but today is the day it all starts Wedding poem A good marriage must be created. In a marriage the little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say 'I love you' at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry. It is at no time taking the other for granted. The courtship should not end with the honeymoon. It should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is a standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife the wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humour. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is finding room for the things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner. It is being the right partner. Wilfred A. Peterson, 'Art of Marriage' Two Friends Today's your special day-the start of both your lives, together. May it be special in every way sparked by the love you've treasured and may all the love you're feeling still find a way to grow, sharing joys, which have a meaning that only both of you could know. May God bless your health as you care for each other's needs, may you both share in the wealth of raising a family, may your new dreams never end - we hope they all come true, and may you always be two friends who have your love, each day, be new. Again, today is your day, with the bond between you strong. God has shown both of you the way and placed his love where it belongs and as you hold on to each other always keeping your love dear, know you're blessed both by the Father and each one of us who's here. Today two friends start a journey walking hand in hand, as one they'll share everything, always now that their journey has begun and as they go on together, blessed by me and you, may these two friends always treasure the day they said, "I do." Blessing For A Marriage James Dillet Freeman May your marriage bring you all the exquisite excitements a marriage should bring, and may life grant you also patience, tolerance, and understanding. May you always need one another - not so much to fill your emptiness as to help you know your fullness. A mountain needs a valley to be complete; the valley does not make the mountain less but more; and the valley is more a valley because it has a mountain towering over it. So let it be with you and you. May you need one another, but not out of weakness. May you want one another, but not out of lack. May you entice one another, but not compel one another. May you succeed in all important ways with one another, and not fail in the little graces. May you look for things to praise, often say, "I love you!" and take no notice of small faults. If you have quarrels that push you apart, may both of you hope to have good sense enough to take the first step back. May you enter into the mystery which is the awareness of one another's presence - no more physical than spiritual, warm and near when you are side by side, and warm and near when you are in separate rooms or even distant cities. May you have happiness, and may you find it making one another happy. May you have love, and may you find it loving one another! These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch. ****************************************************************************** You are a man and woman of love. You bring to this wedcling ceremony all that you are and all that has made you who you are: your families, your friends, your giftedness, your experience of life, your insights, and your wisdom. You bring your hopes and your dreams of what shared love might be. In your love for each other we see the Spirit of Love and Life in human form and we rejoice in the wonderful ways each of you makes that Spirit visible to us. Be always the man and woman you are because that is what delights and attracts you and brings you together. It is also what we, your family and friends, delight in. But let there also be space and room for the other to grow as you form a bond this day that you may wish to be unending and unbreakable. May that bonding be joyful and gracious. May your love be overflowing and generous. In all the years to come may you delightedly be N. and N., wife and husband, strong and constant in love for each other, for your families and for your friends. Michael Morwood, Praying a New Story *************************************************************************************** Masons, when they start upon a building, are careful to test the scaffolding: make sure that planks won't slip at busy points, secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints. And yet all this comes down, when the job's done, showing off walls of sure and solid stone. So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be old bridges breaking between you and me, never fear. We may have let the scaffolds fall, confident that we have built our wall. Seamus Heaney, 'Scaffolding' ***************************************************************** These are the hands of your best freind young, strong and full of love for you. They are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future. There are the hands that will love and cherish you through the years and with the slightest touch comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy. These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it. And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unpoken tenderness with just a touch. ~~ Communion Reflection ~~ Love ruled the day, when the angels came to meet, sweeping them up and off of their feet. Neither of them knowing what the future would bring, two hearts together and one diamond ring. Today it’s a promise, so sweet and so pure. Together forever, for love to endure. A blessing from above, this story is told, a love to last a lifetime and a hand to hold. It was no accident, that this came to be, now you must realise that it really takes three. So go hand in hand to a future unknown, knowing that with the Lord, you will never be alone. With the angles still near and dear to heart, this couple shall prosper and never grow apart. For it’s not always the eye that is the first to see, what really matters in life and what is meant to be. So remember that to love is time well spent, what brought you two together was heaven sent.
Hollylol Posts: 1072
[quote="LittleLily":11d9uh9g]Don't think it has to be from the bible. Ours wasn't anyway. You can use a quote you love. Or even if you had a favourite song you could have it sung or have someone read the lyrics from it. We had a poem that hubby chose.[/quote:11d9uh9g] +1. ours wasnt from the bible either, it was one of the lovely poems above
mayogalinwales Posts: 129
[quote="excitedbride2013":332nks7j]I've heard both religious and non-religious pieces after communion so not sure .. maybe it is something you could ask the priest? At the most recent wedding I was at they read Seamus Heaney "scaffolding" and everyone let a big awwwww at the end and started clapping...it was lovely. Masons, when they start upon a building, Are careful to test out the scaffolding; Make sure that planks won't slip at busy points, Secure all ladders, tighten bolted joints. And yet all this comes down when the job's done Showing off walls of sure and solid stone. So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be Old bridges breaking between you and me Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall Confident that we have built our wall. [/quote:332nks7j] ExcitedBride - I love this. Who read it? The Bride and Groom together or someone else?
excitedbride2013 Posts: 205
Ya, it was lovely - no a friend read it. I guess you could have the b&g read it...but sometimes I think when 2 people are reading together and not quite in sync it takes away from the overall effect (and maybe can be a bit cheesy???)
mayogalinwales Posts: 129
[quote="excitedbride2013":3gpu61mh]Ya, it was lovely - no a friend read it. I guess you could have the b&g read it...but sometimes I think when 2 people are reading together and not quite in sync it takes away from the overall effect (and maybe can be a bit cheesy???)[/quote:3gpu61mh] I know exactly what you mean....you don't really hear the words cos you are thinking about whether they are in sync or not!
flomeo Posts: 249
I absolutely love "scaffolding". Have heard it at 5 or 6 other weddings though so dont want it for ours. We are having a Bruce Springsteen song read out as a poem as soon as priest oks it!
spaced2012 Posts: 275
we planning on having a song thats not religious but my priest has ok'd it. he's a fan too :o)ll i've not told anyone, not even OH...want to keep it a surprise. I think it will be fab.
corkiegirl Posts: 825
Thanks for all those Excitedbride2013... I thought I had collected loads but you have a couple more there that I like too. Flomeo... which Bruce song? I love Bruce... I think I'm going to have If I Should Fall Behind for our first dance.
siobhan3 Posts: 66
Hi! We had this poem as our communion reflection. My sister read it in Irish but i have both Irish and English versions below Really good feedback from it and its so meaningful. Best of luck :wv :wv :wv Geallaim iad seo Ní féidir liom saol lán le gréine a ghealladh duit, Ní gheallfaidh mé saibhreas, maoin ná ór, Ní féidir liom bealach éasca a ghealladh duit, A cheallaigh athrú nó éirí sean. Ach geallaim dúthracht mo chroí duit, Miongáire a shaorfaidh tú ó do dheora, Geallaim grá síoraí i gcónaí duit, Mo lámh i do lámh go deo. Poem: These I Can Promise I cannot promise you a life of sunshine; I cannot promise riches, wealth, or gold; I cannot promise you an easy pathway That leads away from change or growing old. But I can promise all my heart's devotion; A smile to chase away your tears of sorrow; A love that's ever true and ever growing; A hand to hold in yours through each tomorrow.