Menu

Agree or Disagree with Shopping in Northern Ireland

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zoesmama Posts: 2774
since i am not working and live in the North East i shop every 2nd week in North. i am saving a fortune and most products that we buy are cheaper up North. i don't want to have to do this and would much prefer to shop in my local town however our Income is down massively since Jan and i feel we have no choice. i don't want any bashing of people who do shop in the North but am curious about the arguments for and against. :thnk
mrswildrogue Posts: 1739
I also live in the Northeast and do shop over the border and will ccontinue to do so. While building our house we saved over €20k by buying up the North. Also especially now things have gotten so tight and big mortgage I go up the North once a month and do a big shop. The prices we were being charged in Republic are ripping us off right and left. I know prices are being reduced and do shop locally for many items but it still is more cost effective to shop up the North. If you compare prices with the likes of Currys, Argos, B & Q in the Republic and the North the price differences are astounding. The Government had the chance yesterday to reduce vat rates and encourage us to spend more but they did nothing. That's my opinion and I'm sure there will be plenty that disagree with me but for me it's what I can afford.
nissi Posts: 683
Im in the south so its too far for me to travel up O:| but if i was anyway close to it at all, id be there in a shot. Whats the point in buying it here for double the price if you can get great value in the north. We bought our wedding rings in England a few weeks ago and saved a fortune compared to buying them here. Agree that they should have dropped VAT rate yesterday to encourage spending but they didnt so i think everyone who has the opportunity to shop in the north should.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I have to say I agree and I disagree: I agree on the basis that as we all have less money to spend, from a personal point of view, we have to shop for the best value and that is in NI I disagree on the basis that every euro spent in NI is one less in the economy in the republic, and in turn, that has a human cost in jobs lost, after all, if no one is coming to shop in the stores, then the stores don't need staff. Overall, I think that we need the gov to step in and regulate the cost of things in the republic, because I do not believe we should be ripped off and expected to pay so much more for the same thing.
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
I disagree on the principle of supporting Irish jobs and I try to buy Irish products whenever possible. In the same vein, I live in a small town and try to spread my business around the town rather than buy everything in Supervalue. Having said that, its just me and DH so I suppose I can 'afford' to take that stance. If I was in a position that we were both out of work and had a couple of kids I'd probably change my tune. I agree about the government having the opportunity to even things out a bit yesterday and not taking it. A very very silly move on their part I think.
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
[quote="mrs gk":avgntste]I have to say I agree and I disagree: I agree on the basis that as we all have less money to spend, from a personal point of view, we have to shop for the best value and that is in NI I disagree on the basis that every euro spent in NI is one less in the economy in the republic, and in turn, that has a human cost in jobs lost, after all, if no one is coming to shop in the stores, then the stores don't need staff. Overall, I think that we need the gov to step in and regulate the cost of things in the republic, because I do not believe we should be ripped off and expected to pay so much more for the same thing.[/quote:avgntste] Agree 100% with you, very well said Mrs gk
Keith Malone Video
anoncb Posts: 379
It costs approx. 15% more to run a business in the ROI. If the price difference is more than that, then I buy online or elsewhere
tilsun Posts: 4506
I voted for disagree but don't think it's as black and white as that. We did go to Newry recently to see what all the fuss was about. We actually would not save much by shopping there as it seemed mainly junk food and baby things were cheaper. If I had a baby am sure I'd be tempted. I find that by shopping around in Dublin I have saved hundreds off our shopping bill so NI is not the only option. It is affecting jobs and businesses here, we cannot deny that. I accept that business owners and politicians have to take some responsibility, but whether they do or not, shopping in NI is hurting our economy
zoesmama Posts: 2774
i have to disagree about it being mostly junk food and baby stuff being cheaper in NI. the baby stuff is cheaper but so is most foodstuffs. i cook from scratch and don't buy junk food. and because I am not working I actually kept all my receipts since i started going North in Jan and did an Excel Spreadsheet and compared the things i buy from Tesco / Supervalu / and Northern Ireland and over 95% of the products I buy are cheaper in the North. weirdly garlic and Lettuce are more expensive. i usually don't buy meat, fish, milk, butter or fruit or veg there.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
I disagree but looking at the results I am way in the minority but then I voted yes to Lisbon so I'm used to that :o0 . My Dad is from just out side the border and all our lives all his family still living there have shopped up there even when you really were meant to pay import duty it was purely cultural so I'm used to seeing it happen but now it is going to literally kill off Irish business and so while I love a bargin I'd prefer if my husband who is in a very vulnerable position in his job stayed in work.