Airline/Baggage Handlers Stealing!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hula Posts: 384
I just want to warn you. I came back from a trip to the USA in June on a Irish airline (not naming any names!) only to find that my two bags had been tampered with. My camera case was in the bag - empty! Someone had robbed my camera from the bag!!! Now I know US customs and security can go through bags, this has happened me before going to the US, but they always leave a note in the bag and a sticker informing you that the bag was checked. There was no sticker and no note so it defo wasn't them. My parents have just recently came back from the US - same thing happened them!! They flew the same airline home. A Coach bag and purse of my Mom's was taken from her checked in luggage. We are both writing letters of complaint to the airline and also to the DAA as somewhere along the line, things are getting stolen. You've been warned!
Babyloco Posts: 964
Were the bags locked??
littlechick Posts: 758
How come you can not tell us the name of the airline?? Are you not allowed on this site to give names??
No. For security reasons, bags to the USA are not allowed to be locked. You can always get proper security locks - generic ones that security/customs have the keys for, but it wouldn't be hard for a baggage handler to get one of those generic keys! The only option I see would be to get your bags shrink wrapped. That way, if security do check your bag then they can tear the wrapping. If not, there is no quick easy way into your bags for anyone trying to steal something.
[quote="littlechick":35azsjac]How come you can not tell us the name of the airline?? Are you not allowed on this site to give names??[/quote:35azsjac] You know what WOL are like! Any sniff of a company name with negative feedback and they take the post down like a shot!! Irish airline that fly to the US - that narrows it down to erm..... :o0
littlechick Posts: 758
[quote="Hula":3d6djwsm][quote="littlechick":3d6djwsm]How come you can not tell us the name of the airline?? Are you not allowed on this site to give names??[/quote:3d6djwsm] You know what WOL are like! Any sniff of a company name with negative feedback and they take the post down like a shot!! Irish airline that fly to the US - that narrows it down to erm..... :o0[/quote:3d6djwsm] Oh right now I get you :o0 :o0 :o0
Claregirl1982 Posts: 71
OMG i'm so paranoid now. H2B and I are heading to the states soon with an Irish airline. Lets hope everything is ok ;)
Well I'm going to shrink wrap my bags to be checked in from now on and I'm also going to take as big of a carry on bag as possible and make sure anything thats worth anything will be in my carry on. It'll be a pain in the butt lugging around a big carry on during connecting flights but at least I'll know no greedy mitts will have their hands in my stuff! To be fair - I dont know who is stealing the items. It might not be the airline, it could be the baggage handlers - which I do suspect as we were waiting over half an hour at the carousel before any bag from our flight came out so they had plenty of time to go through some.
Satine Posts: 790
That reminds me, myself and my mother went to New York about 2 years ago, and mam was after buying lots in the duty free, ciggerettes for people, aftershave for my hubby, my dad and brother, and a couple of bottles of drink. She put the bags of duty free on the belt to be scanned, but when she walked though the xray machine, out the other side, the bags were gone. And I was watching what the other passengers were taking, and I didn't see anybody take our bags. We said it to the people that were working on the xray, and they just shrugged their shoulders. O:| O:| O:| Put a tiny dampener on our trip away, I say tiny coz we LOVED new york. It was just soooooooooooooo frustrating. An awful thing to happen.
Daisyhomer Posts: 155
I had 200 cigerette's taken out of my bag on a fight from Gran Canaria to Dublin last year. So I've learned my lesson and I'll have my bags locked from now on.