Airtricity Vs Other Providers???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi all, we are with airtricity for both electricity and our gas. However we got out bill for Jan to Mar and its about 80e more than the exact time last year when we were with Bord Gais....now really we aren't using anything more extra or haven't changed anything really either. So Im wondering if any of you are with them and how do you find them? I like them because I have them set up on my online banking and put 10e into the acc every wk then the bill comes with some paid off. I don't know if you can do this with the others, can you??? Who are you with if not airtricity and how do you find them?
DillieDallie Posts: 423
Hey there We have just moved from Airtricity to Bord Gais, Airtricty were woeful to deal with. I posted on it a while back but basically despite paying our bills by DD each month, Airtricity failed to tell us that arrears were also building on our account until we got a call just before Christmas saying we owed almost 1000 euro. Since then I've heard so many more similar horror stories from other customers of theirs. Sorry I dont have more good news! :wv
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Anyone I know who's used Airtricity has been overcharged or not billed correctly. I wouldn't use them, they seem very unreliable.
We were been billed too high but I see on our recent bill a refund from them, I couldnt understand why we were billed incorrectly because I give readings every 2 mths myself! Anyway I just don't really notice much of a diff, even though they are supposed to be cheaper. Can I ask about Bord Gais, can you pay off a bit each wk off your bill so when it comes its done??? I use to be with them but cant rem :-8
BusyMom Posts: 717
[quote="DillieDallie":18h7pmk2]I posted on it a while back but basically despite paying our bills by DD each month, Airtricity failed to tell us that arrears were also building on our account until we got a call just before Christmas saying we owed almost 1000 euro. Since then I've heard so many more similar horror stories from other customers of theirs.[/quote:18h7pmk2] We moved from Airtricity for this reason too, 6 months of bills built up last year and none of them thought to get in touch with us to inform us of it! Only that I spotted it, it could still be continuing now. I would avoid using them again. It actually worked out better for us to split our providers, we use Flogas and ESB. I filled in the form on bonkers.ie (super website, couldn't recommend it enough for comparing!!) and that combo came out cheapest for us. One thing to keep in mind if you're not heavy users of gas or electricity (our house is new-ish and very well insulated) don't be swayed by cheap unit charges. The plans that we're on have (comparatively) cheap daily rates and expensive unit rates. Since our bill is mostly daily charges and very few units each bill, this works out much better! Hope that makes sense!
Ellefun Posts: 1312
We were happy with the switch from ESB (now Electric Ireland), to Airtricity. However in the over 2 years we've been with them the bills have crept up; despite us not seeming to increase our electricity consumption. We may consider switching back. We don't have gas. I have no brand loyalty. We just want good value for money and make our $s stretch that bit further.
Thanks all, yeah that is just it, its value for money we're all after now. Like you our consumption wouldn't have changed an awful lot at all, so I cant understand where the extra money is going considering Im doing the readings now myself! As for daily rates, that's good idea, do bonkers explain all that or did you look that up yourself? Flogas, I didn't know they did natural gas at all, must look at them. Do you have to sign up for DD or can you pay yourself whatever way you like. I like the fact you can pay whatever amount you want with airtricity and then when the bill comes its paid, iykwim.....That's what is nearly keeping me from switching away from them, I cant rem if you could do this with Bord Gais..... Our baby is due any day now, so obv we'll be using alot more energy so just want suss out what the best options are. Thanks all :wv
BusyMom Posts: 717
We pay our bill by DD so I'm not sure about paying it off slowly but it's worth looking into! On [url:p9h5cu1s]http://www.bonkers.ie[/url:p9h5cu1s] you basically tell them what your last bill came to, with what company, and on what plan. They know the billing frequency of your plan and will calculate how many units you used in that period. They'll use those figures then to calculate how much you'd pay if you were on any of the plans offered by any of the other companies and presents all the cheapest options for you! I find it a great website, you can use it for savings a/cs, broadband, gas, electricity, current a/cs etc etc! Tis super!
Super thanks for that...
wedatlast Posts: 95
I have tried twice to change to Airtricity due to thier "Cheaper rates", Twice I have changed back after a short period of time.(You think I would have learned the first time) They are hell to deal with. The second time I was even paying someone elses bill in the estate for a number of months and it took me threatening them with a solicitors letter to get my refund. I am now with Electric Ireland for gas and electricity. They do an "easy pay card" where you can pay various amouints off your bill before you get it. Bord Gais do this too. Just ring thier customer servives and request one.