Menu

Alcohol & TTC

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Spice Bride Posts: 558
Are you all laying off the booze, while TTC, and obviously beyond? Decided at the weekend to start TTC but felt guilty then when drinking. Didn't have mad nights but just even glass of wine last night made me wonder.
mama sugar Posts: 1387
hi there, dont worry lots of women drink and only find out that they were pregnant and they have all healthy babies you didnt over do it either only a couple glasses of wine so if you are things will be fine, we are ttc and I have noticed I have cut down on drinking but I did have a good few at the weekend cause got my af last week so I was able to enjoy the few glasses at the weekend knowing I would be fine so thats how I am doing it cutting down but when my af comes I decide ill have a few drins to cheer me up!!
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
I've been really bad to be honest - lots of weddings and things over the last month or so which hasn't helped! But have made a decision to cut down as much as possible now, especially given that if i do get pregnant, i'll have to lay off the booze for a year or so! I don't think the odd glass of wine or whatever makes any different but big benders probably don't help. It's a personal decision really, i would just feel a lot better in myself if I cut back a bit - especially when I know we're ttc. We'll see how long that lasts! Best of luck with everything.
summer days Posts: 112
morning Spice Bride All the books recommend cutting back on alcohol when you are tccing (and for the father-to-be too) but I am not sure how many women actually do this. I am sure it is a good idea but have no experience of this myself.. I think it is far more important to maybe cut back on the drink and take folic acid for the three months before hand.
mama sugar Posts: 1387
ok was reading up about this it says to try and cut out alachol completely here is what they say [quote:gr45k7xd]Alcohol If there is any one beverage type to avoid while trying to conceive, alcohol -- in any of its forms -- is it. Why? First, birth defects associated with prenatal alcohol exposure can occur in the first 3 to 8 weeks of pregnancy, before you even know if you are pregnant, according to the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities. And although early pregnancy is a particularly vulnerable time, damage to your baby can occur throughout pregnancy as a result of continued alcohol exposure as organ systems grow to maturity. Furthermore, if you are trying to achieve pregnancy, beer, wine and other spirits may hamper your efforts. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) says that women who drink alcohol may have a harder time getting pregnant. [/quote:gr45k7xd] scary but would prefer to be safe than sorry, im sure a couple of glasses wouldnt matter but wouldn't be going out on the major piss up!
chilledout Posts: 834
Alcohol certainly didn't prevent me conceiving! Nor my sister, or my mother! As soon as I found out I was pregnant I majorly cut down. I only have one or two glasses of wine a week and certainly no spirits. In my non-medical opinion I think its better to be relaxed when you're TTC. If that takes a couple of glasses of wine then go for it. You don't want to be dying of hangovers all the time as that's stressing in itself, but a few won't do any harm. It seems to me that the people who cut out alcohol completely, change their diet, take their temp everyday etc and basically wind themselves up and obsess about TTC are the ones who end up taking longer to conceive. If giving up drink is no big deal then go for it, but if like me you like to chill out with a glass of wine then don't feel guilty. Just take it in moderation.
one year married Posts: 133
I asked the doc and he said once your not binge drinking every night then there is no need.
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
completely agree with chilled out ! i had a few drinks during my pg, on honeymoon in hawaii i had drinks with my meals, then i had none for ages until my brothers wedding in the september then noting really till xmas and then he was born in jan a little bit in moderation if youre a drinker imo is no biggie
Spice Bride Posts: 558
Thanks ladies. Makes sense. Probably means though that I don't have an excuse for not going to the gym either. Oh well.
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
oh yes it does ha ha no strenous excercise if your pregnant and thats official ;) yoga is ok and swimming