Aldi chicken - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Aldi source local/Irish free range chicken and it's very high quality. What annoys me about most Irish butchers (well outside Dublin) is that they don't stock free range/organic. Mass produced chicken kept in awful conditions is not good quality. Hassig maybe your local butcher is different. I'm very picky and while I only buy the free range chicken in aldi it's absolutely perfect. On a side note vacuum packed meat can have a smell which is totally normal and nothing to worry about- when the oxygen returns to the meat it goes back to normal. Maybe the packaging is quite tight on some of the chickens causing a lack of oxygen which results in a harmless odour.
hassig Posts: 900
Amandamc – our butcher sources the majority of his meat within an 8 mile radius, and I live outside Dublin, and yes he does stock free range and organic. Just a personal thing, and I like to support the local shops in out town.
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
[quote="hassig":9md6ufu1]Amandamc – our butcher sources the majority of his meat within an 8 mile radius, and I live outside Dublin, and yes he does stock free range and organic. Just a personal thing, and I like to support the local shops in out town.[/quote:9md6ufu1] As do I and I buy some stuff from my local butcher but there's not a huge demand for free range here and I can't compromise (we kept chickens when I was younger so can't stomach the thoughts of them kept in batteries). I believe strongly in supporting local and even purchasing our xmas turkey (free range) direct from a local farmer. When I lived in Dublin I always bought from my local butcher but it's just a pity the butchers where I live aren't like yours. Anyway sorry op off topic.
sept2012bride Posts: 218
I buy all of our meat in aldi and find it great. Have a tight budget to shop with every week and find it much cheaper then other stores/butchers. I do find it goes off quicker then the date marked but generally i buy meat i want for that day or if i intend to use it later on in week i generally freeze it until i need it. their ham fillets and joints are really lovely btw
Synergy Posts: 2768
I just got some thighs in Aldi there today and they're perfectly fresh. I can't say I've ever had a problem with them.