All Ireland Hurling Re Play

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

twinbambinos Posts: 3492
So Galway and Kilkenny are back to play a replay on the 30th September... and while I have no problem in this I do have a serious problem for supports to have to pay out again for ticket just so fund the GAA Heads !! What would have been wrong in letting them play on for an extra 15mins yesterday. The way the match was going ( was a fantastic game of hurling ) it would have defo gone one way or the other within the 15mins..after that then yes go to a replay!! Tickets will be full whack again for the next match ( €80 for the hogan stand is just mental O:| ) and you can be guaranteed their will be no price reductions. So many things had to be put off because we have gone to a rematch( home comings/ hotels booked for teams for the nights/ galas etc ) which will cost money to reorganise aswell...would it have been so wrong to make a decision to play on ! It hasnt happened since the 50's but im sure even the players would have prefered it to having to play a full game again! They should look to reduce the price of the tickets especially considering money is soo tight for people and everyone loves to support their county but I doubt they will O:| On a side note it was one of the most nail biting hurling finals I have ever watched..was a great game of hurling so am looking forward to the rematch just for that alone !!
jeanniejampots Posts: 378
##
[quote="jeanniejampots":3rh4xn0d]Agree on all points :) My OH is from Galway and wedding on 29th so thank god replay is on 30th at least :) I now know where three hours of the day after will be spent.... In the bar watching :)[/quote:3rh4xn0d] oh my god Jeanniejampots thank god as right the final was booked for the 30th..I was at a wedding once on all Ireland Sunday that kk were playing ( dont know what couple were thinking :duh: ) and it was a nightmare for hotel trying to round everyone up for the meal!!! will be great craic watching it though day after your wedding :o)ll :o)ll
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Ticket prices are expected to be reduced. Replays are played for semi-finals and finals. Extra time is not permitted unless the replay ends in a draw also. I'm not so sure the players would have fancied extra time either!! Joe Canning's goal was fantastic, he is such a great player to watch, makes it all look so effortless. Some other noteworthy players on Galway team also - David Burke, Iarla Tannion etc. For Kilkenny, Henry Shefflin really was king for the day. Outstanding performance.
[quote="Jane Smith":3bk4qd4z]Ticket prices are expected to be reduced. Replays are played for semi-finals and finals. Extra time is not permitted unless the replay ends in a draw also. I'm not so sure the players would have fancied extra time either!! Joe Canning's goal was fantastic, he is such a great player to watch, makes it all look so effortless. Some other noteworthy players on Galway team also - David Burke, Iarla Tannion etc. For Kilkenny, Henry Shefflin really was king for the day. Outstanding performance.[/quote:3bk4qd4z] Totally agree their was outstanding players yesterday Brian Hogan for KK was unreal in second half along with who you mentioned above and was such a great game of hurling.. Its only in discussion if ticket prices will be reduced yet so lets hope they wll be for all the supports who travel up to all the games I dont know though the players go through so much to get physc up for a game like that ...all the training... committments ..lives they have to give up to prepare for a match like that and now they have to go through it all again for another 3 weeks ! I know they give their heart and soul to the match but I still think it would have been better to play on for an extra few mins! GAA are set to make over 5million on the replay thats all Im saying :innocent:
Bride2be040812 Posts: 1182
I don't mind so much about the replay. Both teams were exhausted at the end yesterday and I do think that if it had gone to extra time that Kilkenny would have won - and hubby is from galway. He would be devastated. But.. what I am really annoyed about is the scheduling. The ladies football final between kerry and cork was on the 30th and the gaa have pushed it out a week. What about all the fans that would have booked their accomodation, train tickets etc? It's poor form!
MrsMtoB Posts: 1212
I think its very unfair that the ladies final was moved but its all in the name of the GAA making as much money as possible. They really don't care. Sure yesterday the final whistle was blown before the whole 3 minutes of extra time were up. Its like the ref was told if they level to blow that whistle as it means another few million for the GAA, i can't stand them!
Doozer28 Posts: 881
To be fair though, the ladies football association were warned at the start of the year that if it was to go to a replay, it would be played on 30th. It is a pain for supporters that it is to go to a replay, but I think it's the fairest outcome for both teams, neither one deserved to lose yesterday. There is talk that they'll reduce the price of the tickets, so hopefully that'll go ahead.
[quote="MrsMtoB":ms3wm5j3]I think its very unfair that the ladies final was moved but its all in the name of the GAA making as much money as possible. They really don't care. Sure yesterday the final whistle was blown before the whole 3 minutes of extra time were up. Its like the ref was told if they level to blow that whistle as it means another few million for the GAA, i can't stand them![/quote:ms3wm5j3] Agree it was like the ref was just told to blow the whistle when things were even!!! that extra minute could have made the differance for either team !! but sure as I said the GAA are set to make nearly 5m on a replay....id say they are under pressure to reduce ticket prices but I can bet it wont be by much !! It will be some re-match on the 30th !!
paperclips Posts: 3146
The price of tickets is absolutely crazy. €80 per person O:| The GAA would have earned somewhere in the region of between 4-6 million euros yesterday alone. I cant understand how the GAA justifies charging this for tickets. The same amount of money will be made for All Ireland Football Final. I also agree that added time is more appropriate than a replay. I understand that players are tired, but surely you have the opportunity to change the team around and bring in fresh legs by giving the subs on the bench a chance. Also, I'm sure that there were huge hurling fans who travelled from abroad to watch this game and hope that their team would see a win on the day. I really feel for them having spent money on travelling only to leave with a draw. Its probably not likely that they can return for a replay. I know two people travelling to dublin for All Ireland Football Final. Its not a case of a flight home from the UK. One person is taking a 7 hour flight and the other one is taking a ferry and a 4 hour flight for two nights. Its all done for the love of the game and they are huge GAA fans and have a huge love for their county. They will both be equally gutted if the game ends in a draw as there would be no possible way that they could do a return journey. I don't believe that the GAA has any consideration for true GAA fans and its all a money making racket.