Allergic to morphine - manage without epi?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrsreddy Posts: 472
well ladies with only 9 weeks to go :o)ll :o)ll i've been thinking about labour this time round. This will be baby no 2 for me and my first labour was quite difficult. I was in labour for 4 days with no dilation due to having a septum in my cervix. So after 4 days they broke my waters and gave me the epi. :o)ll Now my question for the experienced mammies is could i manage without the epi this time round? the hospital said i should have a short labour (no septum this time!!) but as the title says i'm allergic to morphine so i cant take pethadine or anything else so its gas and air or epi nothing in between :-8 i would like to just try gas and air but not sure if i'll be able to cope :-8 thanks for reading sorry its a long post just airing my worries :thnk
gopro Posts: 1801
I too am allergic to morphine I said it at my 22week app. they are bookin me in to meet the anathestist(sp!) at bout 35 weeks to go through a pain relief plan
strangeangel Posts: 1269
I can tell you I managed without any pain relief (other than gas and air, which did nothing for me) first time around. I was lucky to have a relatively short active labour and it progressed well, which made it easier, but hopefully you'll also have things moving a lot quicker this time and without the complication that you had first time it should be manageable. I'd recommend looking into prenatal yoga as you'll learn a lot about how breathing can help and it really does make a difference. Best of luck!
kala Posts: 1937
of course you can manage without the epi- i got to 6cm of ds1 but had to have emergency c section in the end, ds2 was a vbac- no time for epi- labour started bout 6am in the morning. got to the hospital bout 9.30am at 10.45 i was 3cm and at 12 i was fulyy dilated- i was looking for the epi but they wouldnt give it to me as no time. all i had was gas and air.