Am I regarded as risk after having a section?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mimmie Posts: 601
Hi I've just found out I'm pregnant on my second baby. I previously had to have a section due to my dd being breech. Just wondering am I now regarded as high risk? Can I still do combined care? I'm trying to decide where to go this time ( I went to Holles St) and am considering the coombe maybe or mt Carmel? Any advice would be brilliant, thanks! :wv
pag Posts: 633
I don't think you would be regarded as high risk just because you had a section especially if it was due to baby being breech. If it was due to high bp, pre-eclampsia that's different story. You can do combined care too. Maybe talk to your GP about your worries and options as they would have better idea of your medical history. Oh and congrats on your pregnancy.
Ring King Posts: 9
Hi mimmie, I'm in the same boat as you....had to have section the last time...baba was to big for my small pelvis apparently! :o0 Oh, can laugh about now! :o0 Gynae has already said it will be an elective section this time but no higher risk that any other pregnancy. They're not taking any chances this time so even though it was dissappointing to hear that it would be another section,I've accepted it now and at least it will all take place in a calm,controlled environment....not like last time! Hope this helps!
Crusoe Posts: 128
Hi mimmie, I had an emergency section on DS cos although I went into labour, etc, by myself, he got stuck and I wasn't dilating and then he got into distress. The consultant told me the day after it was just one of those things and that it'd have no bearing on any future pregnancies/births I may have. I'm with a new consultant now and although she's not as positive - said I've only a 60% of VBAC - she has discharged me to the midwives clinic as I want to do early transfer home, etc, if possible and called me a low risk pregnancy. So, from my experience, no, you're not high risk just cos you've had a previous section. Hope that puts your mind at ease.
secretsnuggler Posts: 374
Crusoe, do you mind me asking which hospital you're attending? I'm not pregnant (yet!!), but trying to do my research for when the big day comes! Would love to do midwives clinic etc, but I also had c-s last time for similar reasons to yourself.
Crusoe Posts: 128
pm'd you, secretsnuggler :wv
funkyfish Posts: 7626
don't think so.. i was high risk for other reasons. but i had a vbac...
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
[quote="Ring King":21yejn3o]Hi mimmie, I'm in the same boat as you....had to have section the last time...baba was to big for my small pelvis apparently! :o0 Oh, can laugh about now! :o0 Gynae has already said it will be an elective section this time but no higher risk that any other pregnancy. They're not taking any chances this time so even though it was dissappointing to hear that it would be another section,I've accepted it now and at least it will all take place in a calm,controlled environment....not like last time! Hope this helps![/quote:21yejn3o] Can I ask how was it determined that your LO was too big? After failing to get past 4cm and then DS going into destress I had an emergancy section and DS ended up in SCBU for a week. Would love to have a planned one this time to avoid all that. At the time the midwife told me there was no way I could have delivered him naturally but at my check up the doc said there was no reason I couldn't have a vbac next time. Sorry for hijacking btw :wv
Ring King Posts: 9
Sorry....maybe I was unclear....last time they said baby was too big when he got stuck coming out! This time, they simply don't know yet what size the baby will be but my gynae is recommending another section on the basis of the previous one. Also, he said as I am not exactly a young one (I'm 38....in fact his exact words were ' well, you're not 25......you're not even 35!'.....honestly, the tact of these guys!), that they wouldn't take any chances. To be honest, i didn't even bother arguing with him!
steen2009 Posts: 464
I'm actually trying to decide what to do at the moment. Consultant said I could do VBAC if I wanted to but more than likely have to have a section. I have read the research RCOG and some books on pregnancy and I think I will go for the elective rather than put the baby through the stress.