Am I the first WOLie to...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

AudreyJ Posts: 1063
....be invited to a gay or lesbian wedding? A friend of mine who lives in the UK with her long term partner rang me up a couple of weeks ago to tell me that they've bought a house........AND.......they're getting married at the end of the month! We are really honoured to be invited. They are having a small guest list, only around 20 people, but she said that DH and I are the closest she has next to family (and she needs somebody to lead the drunken sing-song ie me!). Everyone I have told has said "You're the first one I know to go to a gay wedding", so just wondering, is this a first for WOLie land?
Mrs plaza Posts: 3031
Seems so as no one answered yet ! My hairdresser was at a gay wedding in Brighton a couple of years ago, the grooms ( what do you call the happy couple in this case ??) were both hairdressers and they dressed in white suits. She had a ball.
I asked my friend were they going to have two little brides on top of the cake like in Friends. She thought not.... :o0
Mrs080808 Posts: 1569
Sorry- I went to a gay wedding in london last year. It was great , they had the civil ceremony in the hotel and then the reception on a party boat on the Thames with the ratpack and a dj for entertainment. it was my cousins wedding, him and his husband both wore kilts. It was brilliant. I just looked at the invitation, it was June 2006. doesn't time fly I thought it was only last year :-8
[quote="08/08/08 BRIDE":304epdhe]Sorry- I went to a gay wedding in london last year. It was great , they had the civil ceremony in the hotel and then the reception on a party boat on the Thames with the ratpack and a dj for entertainment. it was my cousins wedding, him and his husband both wore kilts. It was brilliant. I just looked at the invitation, it was June 2006. doesn't time fly I thought it was only last year :-8[/quote:304epdhe] So I'm not the first! Your cousin's wedding sounds amazing! My friends are having the ceremony part in a registry office, and then they are having the reception in a fab country house hotel in the Cotswolds. Because they are having such a small crowd, they are really pushing the boat out - hiring limmos for all the guests, having a champagne reception, and paying for all our accomodation. I think we will pay for the accomodation though, I really don't want to put them to extra expense. I'm really looking forward to it now, it should be a good ould knees up :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Mrs080808 Posts: 1569
You'll really enjoy it. The wedding we went to only had a small crowd too and they went all out for it. we were on the boat well after midnight and it was lovely going under London Bridge when it was all lit up at night. have a great time O-O
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
We'll you're probably one of the only... I've never been. I wish they'd bring it into Ireland. It's only fair.
Anonymous Posts: 24542
Not me, but a friend of mine has been to two in her family - UK and Vegas!