and so it starts ...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jellywellies Posts: 2268
Just engaged and have been looking at venues - we are thinking half way point between mine and his family!! My family is under the impression that the reception should be close to us as his lot will be coming down to the church for the wedding!! I actually cannot be bothered with the hassle!! O:|
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! Half way seems quite fair unless theres a HUGE majoirty on one side over the other. Are your families particularly far apart?
we are probably 70 miles give or take a few apart!! all his lot are coming down to me for the wedding obviously, so its only right in my mind to go half way for the reception. But family think that cus they are already down here for the wedding just to have the reception closer to home!! At the end of the day everyone is going to have to travel!! I just don't want hassle and I know that I will never be able to please everyone and someone will get all yappy about something!! lol. I obviously want my mum & dad to like the reception etc ... but some positivity would be good!! lol
D2010 Posts: 181
congratulations on engagement. :thnk would the church and where you want the reception be far apart. would it mean his family booking somewhere to stay the night before the wedding then having to book somewhere different for the next night. we where in similar situation but decided to have it all in the one area which means his family can stay in the same hotel for it all and hopefully have a realxing weekend. his family have no problem with it. i'd hate the hassle of them having to stay in one place for the wedding then having to pack and move hotel after the cerenomy.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I’d agree with your family TBH, if everyone is going to have to travel to the church it makes more sense to have the reception close by too. They’ll already have travelled so they’d probably rather not have to travel halfway back the way they came to go to the reception IYKWIM. They’ll all more than likely stay in the hotel after the reception anyway so there shouldn’t be an issue. In my case we’re getting married and having our reception near my home town because I have moved lock, stock and barrel to H2Bs home town so I’m thinking feck them, they can come to me for one day!!
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
You would also want to think about the timing on the day. For instance, if it's a winter wedding and you are going for pics somewhere after the church and then another drive onto the reception, you will waste a lot of time in the car and it getting dark outside. Also, if there is a long drive after the church, it will mean a later dinner and the day might run away on ye. Congrats and best of luck with it :wv
oh my word - I hadn't even thought of that!! I don't want to keep changing my mind, lol!!
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
First of all Congrats on your engagement its such an exciting time and second...dont start letting anyone dictate to ye this is you and your h2b wedding day and start out as you mean to go on...ye go around and pick a place that ye both like (but do take travel time into consideration) but other than that pick it because ye want it there end of story happy planning :wv
CestMoi Posts: 2162
Wouldn't worry about it too much, people who want to go will be delighted to go no matter how far it is. I have H2B's family travelling nearly 90 miles to the church, and then further again to the reception. His immediate family are staying up the Friday night here though. Be careful with rooms in the hotel though if lots of people are travelling and planning on staying, I didn't think I'd need the 20 rooms, and was going to release them and let his family book themselves, luckily I didn't because there was a golf thing on that weekend and it turns out the rest of the rooms are booked out, so some people are going to have to stay in B&B's. In regards to timing and that, I wanted people to be fed at 6 / 6.30 at the latest, but had already booked the church for 2pm, and put it on the invites before I discussed it with the hotel. I've about 40 minutes to travel depending on traffic in two towns, she reckons I'm going to be rushing it a bit, but I told them that the photos won't be going on for too long - well hopefully not anyway! Congratulations and best wishes to you both!
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
Congrats jelly84, seeing as people will be travelling to the church would it make sense to have the reception close to the church then to minimise the travelling for everyone involved? Personally I wouldn't take too much notice of travelling etc.... we are getting married abroad so everyone will be travelling!!! HTH :wv