Menu

Angelcare monitors recall

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Solar Powered Posts: 548
Hi guys I saw this on Facebook this morning. I know a lot of people on here have this monitor as I have bought this monitor based on recommendation from on here so I just thought I'd let you know. Now maybe it's not all models but I can't say (also posted in M&K) http://www.nbcnews.com/business/600k-ba ... 2D11635176
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
Interesting piece Solar Powered I don't have an angelcare monitor but I know from being on here its really popular.
Dovetail Posts: 293
I don't quite get the drama about this. Obviously it's tragic that children have died but am I reading things wrong? Is it not basic parenting that you don't allow your child access to something that's a strangulation risk? I have a monitor like this and the cord can't be accessed from the cot.
Solar Powered Posts: 548
[quote="Dovetail":1fm6cjok]I don't quite get the drama about this. Obviously it's tragic that children have died but am I reading things wrong? Is it not basic parenting that you don't allow your child access to something that's a strangulation risk? I have a monitor like this and the cord can't be accessed from the cot.[/quote:1fm6cjok] We haven't taken the one we bought out yet so I don't understand - is the cord leading to the mat, is it the cord to the mat that causes the risk? How do you avoid it being accessed from the cot? Cheers.
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
[quote="Dovetail":2znh3jiu]I don't quite get the drama about this. Obviously it's tragic that children have died but am I reading things wrong? Is it not basic parenting that you don't allow your child access to something that's a strangulation risk? I have a monitor like this and the cord can't be accessed from the cot.[/quote:2znh3jiu] It's the cord from the mat that sits under the mattress. The cord can be accessed from the cot as its in the cot. I'm sure the risks are minimal but obviously accidents have happened.
awsomeusername Posts: 31
I don't understand the drama about this. It's a voluntary recall. It's tragic what happened to the babies but if installed correctly surely it eliminate the risk, I understand you have to have to sit it on a solid base which we have done, but it's just a little larger than the mat itself, we've run the wire down through the bottom slates and away from the cot so there is no wire in the cot with ds at all. Maybe it's an assumption on my part, but I think most people who could install it this way would. Why would anyone install it where wires were accessible to their children?
[quote="Bigsurprise":3t0nremn][quote="Dovetail":3t0nremn]I don't quite get the drama about this. Obviously it's tragic that children have died but am I reading things wrong? Is it not basic parenting that you don't allow your child access to something that's a strangulation risk? I have a monitor like this and the cord can't be accessed from the cot.[/quote:3t0nremn] It's the cord from the mat that sits under the mattress. The cord can be accessed from the cot as its in the cot. I'm sure the risks are minimal but obviously accidents have happened.[/quote:3t0nremn] How does a baby access a cord that sits under their mattress? If I was in the cot I think I'd struggle to lift the mattress and get at the cord, never mind a baby having the strength and dexterity to do it? The cord leaves the cot at a point where the baby can't reach it and it's wrapped around the base of the cot. Again perhaps I'm reading it wrong but I still don't get the drama. I have sympathy for the children who have died, I don't mean to sound callous but I've absolutely no anxiety about this product.
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
[quote="Dovetail":2qiv4i3x][quote="Bigsurprise":2qiv4i3x][quote="Dovetail":2qiv4i3x]I don't quite get the drama about this. Obviously it's tragic that children have died but am I reading things wrong? Is it not basic parenting that you don't allow your child access to something that's a strangulation risk? I have a monitor like this and the cord can't be accessed from the cot.[/quote:2qiv4i3x] It's the cord from the mat that sits under the mattress. The cord can be accessed from the cot as its in the cot. I'm sure the risks are minimal but obviously accidents have happened.[/quote:2qiv4i3x] How does a baby access a cord that sits under their mattress? [/quote:2qiv4i3x] Dovetail i think its safe to say that this has happened as 2 children have died. I also used this product and had no such problems but something like this highlights the fact that accidents can and do happen and I think raising any kind of awareness of this is important. User error results in accidents/deaths all the time and while this kind of accident should not happen if the product is fitted correctly there is always a chance of a cord being moved when mattress lifted to change sheet etc. When children are involved you can never second guess what might happen.
incognito11 Posts: 193
Found this on the eumom website: [i:l90r23t0] However, Angelcare UK have issued a statement clarifying that monitors in the UK and Ireland are not being recalled, saying: “According to the European regulations the cord covers are not required as a precautionary measure, as the warnings and instructions clearly explain how to install the monitor and cords correctly. A correctly installed monitor poses no risk to your baby.” “However, we fully understand that you are concerned about the safety of your baby. It is important that all cords are placed out of reach of your baby. Please ensure that the nursery unit is at least 3 feet (1 metre) away from your baby’s cot and that the sensor pad cord is kept well out of reach of your baby, wrapped around the leg of your baby’s cot and secured with cable ties.” - See more at: http://www.eumom.ie/baby/600000-angelca ... Vzimq.dpuf[/i:l90r23t0]
[quote="Bigsurprise":1z9dia6r][quote="Dovetail":1z9dia6r] It's the cord from the mat that sits under the mattress. The cord can be accessed from the cot as its in the cot. I'm sure the risks are minimal but obviously accidents have happened.[/quote:1z9dia6r] How does a baby access a cord that sits under their mattress? [/quote:1z9dia6r] Dovetail i think its safe to say that this has happened as 2 children have died. I also used this product and had no such problems but something like this highlights the fact that accidents can and do happen and I think raising any kind of awareness of this is important. User error results in accidents/deaths all the time and while this kind of accident should not happen if the product is fitted correctly there is always a chance of a cord being moved when mattress lifted to change sheet etc. When children are involved you can never second guess what might happen.[/quote] I don't agree that this is what happened. Maybe it is but there's absolutely zero chance of mine being able to lift their own mattress hence I think it's doubtful. I read on another page somewhere of someone who had put the mat incorrectly under the sheet rather than the mattress. I feel it's more likely the cord was accessed because of incorrect use such as that.