Annual Leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bubba Bump Posts: 348
My boss has just told me that I have to use up my annual leave for 2008 before I go on maternity leave in June! Is this right? I assumed whatever I hadn't used I could just take at the end of my maternity leave but she said no as it'll be 2009 before I come back to work from my maternity leave. Does anyone know if this is right? Thanks
molls Posts: 149
Employers are not obliged to allow employees carry unused holidays into the following year, so I suspect she is right. Enjoy your time off.
baby08 Posts: 181
in my job it's the same. you have to use your annual leave in that year and can't carry over to next. luckily mine will bring me up to christmas this year. check with your HR department though as they may offer you some other options such as pay in lieu of the annual leave that you don't take before you go on maternity leave. worth a try anyway!
love struck Posts: 1125
Bubba Bump Some companies may have a policy of no carryover of holidays.. However you will incur all holidays and BH while on maternity leave. I have never heard of anyone been asked to take all their leave prior to taking their maternity leave, so I am not 100% on the legal stance... I am taking all my prior to June but thats what I want to do.. I will check for you and get back to you...
mumof2 Posts: 3864
With me that is the case so I am on my maternity leave now - that is using all my holidays to have the month of January off. I don't intend on going back afterwards so that is why I did it this way but I could have only carried over 3 days anyway
oirish Posts: 1541
I think i'l have to do the same. So I intend on putting my mat leave dates down as late as I possibly can and then taking the balance of my annual leave before hand - ie. whatever I haven't used up in the meantime.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Same in my job - no carrying holidays over, so I'd have to have taken them before I finish in July. It's unfair really....I know it sounds awful, but what if you used most of your holidays, and God forbid, something happened and you lost the baby, and then you have the rest of the year to work with no holidays left to take. I haven't told work yet, but I'm hoping that I can work something out with them about being paid in lieu or something....Bubba, could you talk to them about something like that?
charli Posts: 5994
in the legislation it does state that employers dont have to allow you to carry over though some would make an exception for a few days you may have to use all of 2008 hols before going but you will incur A/L and B/H for the 26 weeks that you are on mat leave fortunately for me our leave year is Jan to Jan so i had used all hols up to 31st Dec and go on leave next week so didnt pose a problem