Menu

Anomaly scan questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
ohsotired Posts: 7071
We had ours last Friday ACS - it took about 20 mins in total! We got a leaflet from the Coombe saying what could and could not be picked up in the scan. I would mention it to the sonographer anyway - if it's not something that can be seen in a scan well that's the worst they can say! As for the gender - we were asked during the scan if we wanted to know and we said no so she said we might want to look away for the next 2-3 minutes as some babies can expose themselves in the scan :o0 I contined to look at the screen but didn't see anything - that's not to say there was nothing to see - it was more that baby moves around so quickly and she only took the stills of the particulars she was after! Best of luck with it all!!
theoracle Posts: 7664
Usually they look at all major organs and their development, chambers in the heart, spheres of the brain etc. It can take anything from 20-30 minutes depending also on how cooperative babs is (not too wrigly, what position etc). If the genetic condition is on your mind, bring it up, but yes you are correct in thinking that it may not be possible to diagnose it via scan. Amniocentesis would be the only way to tell whether there are any genetic implications. If you do not want to know the gender I would mention it at begining at the scan, as your consultant may forget to ask your preference. I could never make out the gender but some people said they could...best of luck...
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Thanks ladies! Babs has been very active during the two quick scans the consultant did before so I'm thinking we won't be able to see too much!
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":33ds9k2o]Thanks ladies! Babs has been very active during the two quick scans the consultant did before so I'm thinking we won't be able to see too much![/quote:33ds9k2o] Mine has been the same - a real little wriggler. You should have gotten a leaflet with your first visit pack and it outlines what it can detect and to what degree. My consultant said that it will take about 30 mins.
When we went in last week the midwife asked me if I had much movement with babs & I said yep, they're hyperactive - about 2 mins into the scan she agreed :o0 Babs didn't want to show off its face much so spent most of the time hiding behind its hands but she eventually got to see its lips :o0
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
Saw a link to this facebook page on IrelandAM's page this morning, for their Bump to Baby series,and there is a video of the woman having her 20 week scan in Holles street. Just scroll down the page to find it. https://www.facebook.com/Irelandambumptobaby
HelenOC Posts: 96
Hi I had mine in Holles street about six weeks ago and I was really disappointed because the sonographer rushed through it all and was really abrupt with us. I think we got about twenty minutes in total and I left really disappointed because I'd been looking forward to it for so long. The reason I say this is because I've since been told by loads of people that they all got a lot longer and it felt very personal. On a positive note everything was fine with the baby which is the most important thing but if I could do it again I would ask her to take her time and show me a few more things especially as it's the last scan of the pregnancy. We were the last people of the day so it's not like there was a big queue behind us. Just make sure you enjoy the experience and if you don't feel you're getting the right treatment speak up. I wish I had.
I personally found the 20 minutes or so to be plenty of time - as The Oracle said it can take longer if baby isn't co-operating but once the sonographer gets all of the measurements and sees everything they need to see then there isn't really much more to expect I didn't think!
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
I dont get the 20week scan as standard at my hospital, so had to organise it privately with Babyscan, and we only had about 20mins too, but it was plenty of time to see everything and for the sonographer to check what she needed to. She was lovely though, and it was money well spent in my view. They also had a HUGE flat screen tv so DH and DD could see the scan on that aswell as the small screen. So handy not having to strain your head sideways to look, when you're flat on your back. ;o) I can understand where you're coming from regarding it feeling impersonal at the hospital, i felt this about my 14week dating scan, and the pictures i left with were cr*p! Thankfully we had also paid for a private scan at 12weeks and got great pics from that. I think with our health system customer service does not come into it, its a job for them, seeing so many women each day, doing the same thing, its not personal to them, whereas when you are paying for scans privately, they try to make the whole experience worth the money.