Anomaly scan

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

decsnow Posts: 83
Hi girls I am due in June and a public patient. I had my first app in hospital at 14 wks and due back at 28 wks Just wondering is this normal in other hospitals Seems that some girls in other hospitals are given this. Was thinking of booking one myself in private clinic Thanks in advance Anyone suggest where i can get one done?
saz12 Posts: 217
Hey, What hospital are u attending? I am due in July, going semi-private in the Rotunda. I has scan at 12weeks and scheduled for 20 week anomaly scan at 20+2... I think you should ring up and inquire as the 20 week scan is very important...it seems a very long time to wait until 28weeks... Saz
i want one Posts: 2893
on my last pregnancy had my hospital scan at 14 weeks that was the only scan they gave me. this time i have not had my scan yet. it does seem to be different rules for different hospitals tho. if they were worried about you im sure they would re scan you. no harm booking a private scan tho if it will put your mind at ease :xxx
Dee78 Posts: 263
Hi Decsnow, which hospital is it? I'm semi private in Holles Street, due beginning of May. I had my first appointment at 12 weeks in Oct but no scan included so I booked a private one myself for the same day. Then had another appointment in Nov with consultant and then the 20 week anomoly scan just before Christmas. Those were the 3 appointments that I was given initially when I booked in with the hospital. All other appointments have been arranged each time I"ve been in if you know what I mean. Not sure what the norm is for public but I don't think there's too much of a difference in Holles St anyway..From friends etc who have been public I think the appointments may just have been a bit later like you say you had your first at 14 weeks etc. Maybe just give the hospital a ring and double check with them. As far I know the anomoly scan isn't something you should have to book yourself, no matter which care option you decide on, you should be offered it. Sorry not much help but maybe just give them a call. Best of luck with everything :wv
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
It depends what hospital you are attending. Some of them dont have the equipment on site to do the anomaly scan, but those that do seem to offer it to patients. From what i can gather it seems to be the larger national hospital that give a 20week scan, and the smaller regional hospitals dont. I think you can request to be referred for one, but you will pay in the region of €120 for it anyway, even though you are public. My schedule in the same as yours, booking visit and scan at 14 weeks, then nothing until 28weeks, which probably wont included a scan as far as i know. So we just went ahead and booked a private anomaly scan with Babyscan.ie, €160, and well worth the money. It is pretty disgraceful that depending what part of the country you live in will determine whether you receive a very important scan, that could pick up abnormalities before the birth. And where some public patients get one for free, others will have to pay!
Dee78 Posts: 263
[quote="boodlesdoodles":1guy59z5]It is pretty disgraceful that depending what part of the country you live in will determine whether you receive a very important scan, that could pick up abnormalities before the birth. And where some public patients get one for free, others will have to pay![/quote:1guy59z5] I never knew that boodlesdoodles!! That really is a disgrace!! >:o(
beetlebum Posts: 90
I am attending the Coombe as a public patient! I've had a scan at around 12weeks. Had a consultant appt at 16 weeks! I've my big scan (anomoly scan) this Friday at 21 weeks. I've also had numerous GP appts! Am attending the doctors clinic in naas now and have my next appt in the middle of march! So far I've been scanned twice and will have had 3 on Friday! So far have been really Impressed by the level of care and haven't had to wait long at appts either! Touch wood it stays that way!!