Anonymity

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hadtoleave Posts: 2522
R2theB Posts: 1660
Not a chance, mentioned in the name thread that my username is h2b's nickname for me, and if anyone was ar$ed going through my posts it would be[i:25iyjfoq] glaringly[/i:25iyjfoq] obvious who I am. That said, I've talked about the forum to friends and none of them appear to be active, so I don't think anyone on here, regular posters etc, actually knows me. But then, do we[i:25iyjfoq] really[/i:25iyjfoq] know anyone?? Sorry, WOL has made me a bit giddy tonight, anyone else? :-8
hestia Posts: 2368
I hope so, but it takes effort. Well, to stay mindful of how small and incestuous the country is and the scant (and disparate) details that can easily be cobbled together into a photofit. Would consider meself neurotically private by nature but I've had to give meself the odd slap on the finger and delete one or two comments and anecdotes. This is the first Irish site I've participated in so extra vigilance required, and, well, basic cop.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
I don't think I'm anonymous. Should probably be more so, but I've learned to avoid saying anything too bad. I have deleted a few things/threads in the past. I have a bit more cop on (admittedly not a lot) and so think a nanosecond before submit.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I was just thinking there that Hestia is probably one of the more private/anonymous Wollies. She's mentioned she's married and has a baby and is from the north...that's about it. There's probably plenty of married, sprogged Northerners in the country so I'd say she's safe enough! Apart from Hestia though I think all of us have given away a good bit. As Hestia says it takes hard work not to say 'Oh I used to live near X restaurant' or mention that your birthday is in May or whatever. It's natural to talk about yourself. As I mentioned on the other thread even before I made FB friends with any Wollies, put up my photo, gave my real name, gave my location or started my blog and linked to it here - I was always careful not to say anything on here that I wouldn't want the whole world to know. Cos that's who's reading. So to answer the question no I'm not anonymous at all, but it's not a problem.
macattack Posts: 1617
Now maybe I'm completely naive but until I posted my pic on the "know your wols" thread (which I now regret) I think I was pretty anon. I had never revealed my wedding date, venue etc and my posts were pretty generic but then sure I blew all that in a moment of madness! Didn't keep the pic up for long so I'm hoping I may have salvaged my anonymity but the fact is I don't know who has seen it. That said I won't lose any sleep over it because I've never slagged the in laws or posted a "OMG you'll never guess what my bridesmaid's just said" thread and I may post a report after the wedding.
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I'm defo not anon. And I couldn't care less. I like giving bits of info out and getting it back form other posters, think it makes a nice little community here. I feel like some of the girls on here are my friends, almost, don't want to sound creepy, sorry.
R2theB Posts: 1660
[quote="morningsun":1f2icllc]ya I know what you mean, I was like that at the start aswell, but as my OH would attest to, I am a very open person so found it hard to keep all the personal anecodes/examples to myself and I like to share so I just said feck it as I couldn't be bothered with the effort of trying to keep things private. My OH worked with people for about 18months before I met them and he still says that they found out more about him in one night with me than they had in the previous year and half :yelrotflmaosmilie: but that is the sort of person I am![/quote:1f2icllc] Here's your sister morningsun. Open to a fault so I am. But like Smileykaz said, it's natural to talk about yourself!
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="BrideOfRecession":n11h8k99]I'm defo not anon. And I couldn't care less. I like giving bits of info out and getting it back form other posters, think it makes a nice little community here. I feel like some of the girls on here are my friends, almost, don't want to sound creepy, sorry.[/quote:n11h8k99] Then I'm Queen Creep...that is exactly how I feel