Another dinner thread

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Time For A Change Posts: 6885
Hubby and I are going to give the "We're going to lose weight by Christmas" a go again, let's see how far we get this time. As far as I can tell, all boldies are out of the house (I hope), but the killer is the dinners. I'm blue in the face asking hubby to help doing out a meal plan for the week. He agreed each time, but anything I suggested, he'd say no. So, last night we shook on doing up a weekly meal plan - but I somehow got landed with it. We're looking for a high protein, low carb menu, so does anyone have any suggestions? As we don't want to be spending all night cooking, they'd need to be quick enough, or ones that I can make a batch of, and freeze for the next time. Thanks
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Omlette - not for the freezer but easy to do up with loads of veggies and very high in protein. Slimming World do a recipe and it's really filling. For two people, three eggs each. Whisk up with a splash of low fat milk. Then add in a couple of spoons of cottage cheese. In a pan fry off your veggies - onion mushroom peppers scallion whatever else you have in the fridge and even some bacon with all the fat trimmed away. Pour over the eggy mixture and let it set over a low heat for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and put the pan under a hot grill to set the top of it. Serve with a big crunchy salad with low fat dressing. Soups are also good, can do in advance and then defrost. Butternut squash or sweet potato are good as they're filling and nice and thick. How about Cottage Pie but topped with mashed turnip instead of potato? Again another Slimming World recipe. Use lean minced beef/lamb, add in whatever veggies you like along with some stock and seasoning (thyme and rosemary are lovely) then boil up some turnip and when soft, mash it and put it on top of the meat mixture. In to the oven for ... 30 mins? Lasagne using aubergine instead of pasta and low fat yoghurt instead of white sauce. Make up a basic lasagne sauce (lean mince, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic and basil, also a spoon of sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes) then layer it between big long slices of aubergine, adding a thin layer of yoghurt to the top and a nice sprinkle of low fat cheese. If you buy the Slimming World magazine actually they've great recipes. Not all low carb but all very filling and healthy. No ready meals or anything like that.
Thanks for that SK. We do omlettes the odd time, but I'm a plain-Jane when it comes to them - cheese only, whereas hubby would be more adventerous. I like the sound of the lasagne, I like little twists on traditional dinners, that's definetely one for the list. Soups are good, again, I just need to get more adventerous with them - but I do love my Spiced Pumpkin/Butternutsquash soup (it's like a duvet wrapped around you on a cold day!) When I've made a batch, I always bring some into work for lunch. Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between Cottage Pie and Sheperds Pie, or are they the same, just with different names? We love Sheperds Pie, and I did a mixture of sweet potato and regular potato for the top, it's a lovely combo. I think it could be lasagne tonight - starvin' now!! :)
lorraine78 Posts: 988
Cottage pie is made with beef and sheperds pie is made with lamb. You can even look up some slimming world recipes online.I followed it 2 weeks ago and the meals are yummy and very filling.
[quote="lorraine78":1jy9jj1a]Cottage pie is made with beef and sheperds pie is made with lamb.[/quote:1jy9jj1a] Well, you learn something new every day - on WOL! Never knew that, so we've been calling our dinner the wrong name, all these years! :o0
Bluebear Posts: 1594
Roasted veg with chorizo is a low carb tasty dinner option. I just chuck in whatever veg I have into a rotating tray (I include butternut squash to fill it out), season with salt, pepper, fresh thyme & little bit of olive oil, roast in the oven for 20 mins then add chopped chorizo for last ten minutes (find the Lild one is best). BBC Food have a lovely recipe for chorizo, chickpea & spinach stew. If you want to go low card google paleo recipes for ideas.
streaks Posts: 3592
We regularly do turkey pizza melts and they are gorgeous. It's turkey steaks pounded down and grilled, meanwhile you make a homemade salsa with peppers, tomatoes and stock and put it in the turkey steaks and too with light mozerella, it's gorgeous. Again it's a slimming world recipe but really tasty!
Streaks, that sounds lovely. Hubby always gets turkey burgers from a particular butchers, but there's only so many times before you get sick of them! Another butchers just minced up turkey, and made them into burgers - as in, just shaped them - so bland and tasteless. I like the sound of your dinner, I got some of the better burgers yesterday, so I might give the pizza version a go. Thanks.