Another mat benefit question!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrsreddy Posts: 472
sorry girls i have another maternity benefit question. i'm on jobseekers benefit at the moment as i was made redundant in june of this year. i'm due baby no 2 in may 2012 so rang the mat benefit office and was told that i need to be taking leave from work to be entitled to mat benefit. he said that i have enough stamps to get the full payment but i wont get it unless i work between now and may is this right?? its so annoying because i have the stamps there and cant use them!! any advice????
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
Yes, this correct. If you can even get one days work you should qualify for mat benefit. You could try temp for a day or do you know any family members who would take you on for a day?
Zutugi Posts: 20
Yup, I'm afraid I second that. You have to be going directly from insurable employment onto Maternity Benefit. What it works out as in reality is that you have to work at least one day after your 24th week of pregnancy and earn over €38 (because then your employer will have to pay a stamp for you) and then whenever you finish up work your benefit will be due to start immediately. The citizens information website is handy to check further info on.
OAT Posts: 2207
[quote="Zutugi":39lpcu2v]Yup, I'm afraid I second that. You have to be going directly from insurable employment onto Maternity Benefit. What it works out as in reality is that you have to work at least one day after your 24th week of pregnancy and earn over €38 (because then your employer will have to pay a stamp for you) and then whenever you finish up work your benefit will be due to start immediately. The citizens information website is handy to check further info on.[/quote:39lpcu2v] Yep I had to get a job one day a week so I'll be entitled to the payment come December
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
Actually rang citizsen advice about this today as I was laid off in March and due no.2 in April of next year. I have just landed a part time job (2 evenings a week) and as long as I get one stamp after 24th week I'll be entitled to maternity, so job needs to last for me until at least one week after Christmas Eve. You need to earn at least €38 in that week to get a stamp. (which is approx. 5 hours on minimum wage) The amount of Maternity you get will be calculated on the weekly wage you recieved in 2010.
happygolucky Posts: 200
What if you are on casual slips, otherwise known as a three day week I think? I have applied for this as my working hours have been severely reduced. Will this affect my maternity benefit? (I will be relying on social welfare as my employer does not do any maternity benefits {f*ckers!}
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
[quote="happygolucky":j7u4s7zj]What if you are on casual slips, otherwise known as a three day week I think? I have applied for this as my working hours have been severely reduced. Will this affect my maternity benefit? (I will be relying on social welfare as my employer does not do any maternity benefits {f*ckers!}[/quote:j7u4s7zj] As long as you are earning more than €38 a week, shorttime wont effect your maternity benefit.