Another Q on Braxton Hicks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lady Di Posts: 2487
Didn't want to hijack any other posts on this - but wanted to ask.....is it definately too early for me to be getting these?? Im cramping every so often but its not like AF cramps that posters have described before. Extra worrying with the bleeding. Asked consultant and he didn't give me much of an answer except that he would prefer if I wasn't having them. Never asked him about Braxton hicks....
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:e39d4n2b]I haven't a clue but I just found this: Braxton Hicks are sporadic uterine contractions that actually start at about 6 weeks, although you won't be able to feel them that early. [u:e39d4n2b][b:e39d4n2b]You probably won't start to notice them until sometime after midpregnancy[/b:e39d4n2b][/u:e39d4n2b], if you notice them at all (some women don't). They get their name from John Braxton Hicks, an English doctor who first described them in 1872. Also: Typically, you should start experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions around your 28th week. This being said, [b:e39d4n2b][u:e39d4n2b]early Braxton Hicks contractions can start during the second month in some women.[/u:e39d4n2b][/b:e39d4n2b] You may find that you don’t even feel these contractions the first few times that they happen. If you were pregnant before, you may find that this time around your Braxton Hicks contractions are actually much stronger. And: Technically speaking, [b:e39d4n2b][u:e39d4n2b]you will begin to have Braxton-hicks contractions starting well before the second trimester[/u:e39d4n2b][/b:e39d4n2b]. Braxton-Hicks contractions can start as early as somewhere around your sixth week of pregnancy. Having said that, these early Braxton-Hicks contractions are generally so mild that you arent even going to be able to notice them. Typically, it is sometime much further into pregnancy, often somewhere in the [b:e39d4n2b][u:e39d4n2b]middle of the second trimester[/u:e39d4n2b][/b:e39d4n2b], before you start to be able to feel and to recognize Braxton-Hicks contractions. [/color:e39d4n2b]
Lady Di Posts: 2487
Thanks Christmas B -- looks like thats what it could be as they feel more like labour pains than AF cramps!