Ante natal doc appointments

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Question: do u see your GP or a nurse for these? Just had an argument over the phone with the receptionist in my docs surgery. I was trying to book my next ante natal appointment. Doc told me at my last one 3 wks ago that she'd see me again in 3 wks. Recrptionist told me that the nurse does all ante natal appointments but on DS I saw the doc every time. I nearly had to fight with her to get an appointment!! :eek
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I see the nurse & then doc checks baby's heartbeat & my measurements at the end of the appointment! ETA: My first proper ante-natal appointment with GP wasn't until 24 weeks!
On DS I had about 6 of them!! Starting at about 12 wks & each time I saw my GP that's why it's p*ssing me off this time that she's telling me I have to see the nurse. Got my own way in the end anyway and managed to get appt with my GP!! I'm also on thyroid medication which was just recently increased to GP said she wants to keep an eye on this
gopro Posts: 1801
I started CC at 17 weeks n it's with the GP
Diamondz Posts: 2208
GP here too.......
dea aveta Posts: 254
GP all the way for me too. Would you switch surgeries if not happy?
[quote="dea aveta":15qzm0vx]GP all the way for me too. Would you switch surgeries if not happy?[/quote:15qzm0vx] I've already switched once because the last secretary was a complete and utter b*tch!! U see I really like my GP & get on well with her so don't want to move again
pag Posts: 633
In general if there is a practice nurse (or more specifically midwife) then they are given the antenatal Appts for women attending the practice. They must have qualification in midwifery though. That said if your GP said she wanted to see you to keep eye on meds then I would get her to put note on your record saying that antenatal appts are to be with GP and not midwife. Also it's worth making the appointments when yu are leaving rather than having to phone up and deal with nasty receptionists. I think they're all the same- one in my practice is exact same.
CherylC Posts: 1071
I think its quite normal in the bigger practices who have a trained nurse for the nurse to do the standard ante-natal appointments. The first appointment is not officialy until 24 weeks and you only get 6 for free I think so anything extra is a bonus they're not paid for.
Chica1 Posts: 793
I've had two GP ante natal appointments. The first was with GP (it was an evening app and think nurse was finished for the day). On my My 2nd app I saw nurse and then GP listneded to the heartbeat. I'm so lucky that I attend a lovely practice. The GP's are lovely as is the nurse and receptionist is a pleasure to deal with!