Antenatal Anxiety/Depression - need some help please...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

anxietyproblem Posts: 4
Hi there Girls, I never thought my first post here would be so bleak so apologies in advance. even though I really wanted to have a baby, since I found out (I'm 10 weeks) I have been riddled with anxiety, having panic attacks, nit sleeping properly, difficulty eating etc. I went to my GP early on a couple of weeks ago, and she really wasn't very nice, kind of told me to get a grip, I felt so much worse having spoken to her. I'm going private at the Rotunda but my first appointment isn't for another couple of weeks and I really don't think I can wait that long because the main thing I'm worried about is having my bloods done. Is there any way I could get to see a midwife before then do you think? I just don't trust my own mind anymore. I just don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
spritzer Posts: 625
Sent you a pm!
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
There is such a thing as pre-natal depression, and it is as real as post-natal depression and should be treated as seriously as one another. Would it be possible for you to change GPs? If that's not possible, have you confided your feelings to your other half, or perhaps your mother / sister ... if so, bring them with you to your own GP again to speak your case for you ... it's not fair for you to be expected to fight your own corner when you are not feeling strong as is. Don't just accept this behaviour from your GP. I have suffered from depression from time to time, once I went to my GP in a right state and she basically told me that I was feeling sorry for myself. She obviously thought about it by the time I saw her again and she apologised for what she said, that it really wasn't the right thing to say to me.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I have posted about pre-natal depression just a short while ago and to me it was very real, I know where you are coming from. I have not sought professional help and it was even difficult to open up to family, TBH this forum saved my mind. If you want pm me.
Thanks for the replies girls. I think my experience with the GP has scuppered me a bit. I'm afraid about going to another one or to the midwife in case they are the same. I have been really open with my husband which is great but at the same time there's only so many times you can talk about it and cry etc before it gets repetitive. I have looked at some articles on the web about prenatal depression. Maybe if I called the midwife and explained they might let me come in for a chat sooner than my booking appointment? Thanks again for the replies. x.
dhidra Posts: 3147
so sorry to hear you're going through this. I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks when pregnant, didn't really do anything about it. And now I have PND. There definitely should be some services available to you at the rotunda-I remember seeing something on the website. Ring the switchboard and ask. Also, if you have VHI you can get counselling. I've had three sessions so far and Ive found it very good. DH is great to talk to but you can say a lot more to someone impartial. They might do some relaxation techniques with you. Hope you're feeling better soon. PM me anytime
sunshine. Posts: 1387
I really feel for you................. I know its supposed to be a joyous time but its such a life changing experience that it can be very overwhelming........ Im a nurse and believe me not everyone is so uncompassionate as that GP.... No. 1 there are loadsa causes of anxiety....... Every body have different reactions to stress whether it is good or bad stress........ No. 2 there are loadsa people who get this, so remeber your not alone........ They got through it and so will you...... No. 3 Anxiety is caused by many things such as chemicals in your brain (pregnancy can disrupt the bodies homeostatis), genetics. But essentially its the way that you are thinking is making you anxious. Mostly people with anxiety think irrational worrying thoughts so sometimes its useful to write them down so you can see how irrational they are. You can look at them when you are feeling a bit better or even with your husband. Like the last post it may be a good idea if you could talk to someone or use the councelling services if they are available... AND remember, dont let this knock your confidence because this is about you and your family so bring someone with you on your next visit cause they are a bit daunting... Best of luck and let me know if you need anything else :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk
wollysocks Posts: 1773
Hi, If you would like to talk to somebody you could call AWARE- they are a national organisation that specifically work to support those with depression. They have a helpline- lowcall- 1890 303 302 -the lines are open 10am to 10pm and Thurs to Sunday until 1am. You can talk to somebody about how you're feeling. I hope you get some help-depression is serious- I think it's a pity your GP doesn't take it more seriously and I know it's a nuisance but I would try and change GP if I were you.. hope you get things sorted
Thanks for the replies girls. I got on to the Rotunda and it seems they actually have a special midwife dedicated to antenatal emotional wellbeing, anxiety, depression etc so hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with her tomorrow. Even knowing that someone like her exists is a comfort! If anyone else would like her details PM me. Otherwise, I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to reply, it means alot. xox
double post