Antenatal/hypnobirthing classes Dublin

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Long Legs Lizzy Posts: 233
Hi everyone, I had my first apt yes with clinic and am 12 weeks. They told us need to get onto booking antenatal classes asap. We are with Holles st but live near Blanchardstown so ideally would like to have classes around here. Just have a few questions like when do classes start? Does anyone know if there are any hypnobirthing classes out this way either or will we have to go into town somewhere? and lastly of course does anyone know of any classes out this direction? I'd appreciate your help everyone as am clueless THanks Lizzy
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Lizzy, I teach weekend workshops at the City North Hotel (about 15 mins north of the Airport on the M1) GentleBirth is a full antenatal class in itself so you wouldn't have to take the hospital class too and it's all done over a half day Saturday and nearly a full day Sunday. If you're planning on breastfeeding I'd definitely recommend taking a breastfeeding class. HTH Tracy
RJR Posts: 962
Hi Lizzy I'm out near you (D15) - I did the 1 day Maureen Buckley antenatal, she's very good and its about 20 mins away (in a hotel past lucan). I did hypnobirthing with Vivienne Kerrigan, she's fantastic. you get 4 x 2 hour one on one sessions so you get really deep hypnosis and you also get two cds to listen to practice. I had a 1hr 20 mins labour (it was my first!) and no drugs, and I really think a lot of that is down to Vivienne. feel free to pm me if you want more info on either...
Hi Lizzy, Just a quick note regarding the various hypnobirthing classes - I trained as a hypnobirthing teacher with Marie Mongan who founded the original hypnobirthing method but when I started teaching it in Ireland I found the course was lacking in some basic information that would really help the couple have a much more empowered experience - most importantly getting the Dads really engaged, confident and excited (yes they do get excited when they understand what's expected of them and have their 'to do' list) LOL It's so important that your birth partner is as involved as possible so he can confidently facilitate the kind of birth you want without feeling intimidated. Your job is to be in labour - Dad's job is everything else :-) That's one of the reasons I developed GentleBirth. I don't teach weekly classes anymore but if you prefer that format I would recommend taking the class with someone who has experience working in the Irish maternity system. It's a huge advantage to have an insiders perspective. There's a great midwife in Dunshaughlin that teaches the course too. I'll pm you her details - she used to run the MLU in the Lourdes. The hypnosis part of hypnobirthing is simple - it's applying it in to our overly stressed and stretched maternity units that the real skill comes in and understanding what all of your options are so you and your partner can make decisions confidently and calmly each step of the way :-) It's such an exciting time for you - enjoy every minute ! Tracy
I'd second that about getting the dad involved, it really helps if they've seen you in self hypnosis and see for themselves it works! Vivienne has the dads come along to the last session and teaches them a calming technique to use on the day - DH used it on me and I did feel calmer. She also teaches you how to self anaesthetize so you can numb yourself, its great for the aches and pains in the later stages of pregnancy and I used it for breast feeding as well She's well known with the midwives in H street and has met with them loads to show them her techniques so they're familiar with them - the midwives there were fantastic with me in labour once they heard I was a hypnobirther and even reminded me to listen to the CD in the delivery room! Good luck!
Long Legs Lizzy Posts: 233
Hi RJR, Tried pming you not sure if you got it. It all sounds great and i'm more on board after doing more reading up on it. Another few questions: will the hospital be peeved if we don't do the antenatal course they provide and do you talk to the consultant about doing hypnobirthing on the day? also can anyone tell me what a tens machine is and what does it do? Thanks again guys Lizzy
Often the hospital classes are at times that make it impossible for couples to go together. If you ring H.Street they'll even give you a referral to a one day class themselves. I'd imagine they'd be more concerned if you didn't take any antenatal classes at all rather than taking one that wasn't in the hospital. Have a chat with your consultant sooner rather than later - most of them are really supportive of hypnobirthing. Once you've been practicing a few weeks you can start thinking about what to put on your birth plan and have a chat with him/her then about hypnobirthing. The midwives all love it and they'll be spending the most time with you anyway :-) Tracy
Hi LIzzy Sorry, ran out of power halfway through a reply to your PM and then got caught up with DD! Have PM'd you back By the way, let me know if you want a copy of my birth plan if you don't know where to start, the consultant in H street was very supportive of it (didn't see her on the day as I went so quickly but the midwives stuck to it to the letter)