anterior placenta

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

leopardess Posts: 906
i had my ultrasound yesterday and all was well :o)ll the technician told me i have an anterior placenta (lying across my front) so it will muffle heartbeat sounds and cushion kicks so could be much later before i feel them. does anyone else have this position placenta and how late was it when you felt your baby kick? also i have heard :eek that this position placenta can encourage the baby into posterior position, has this happened or even better not happened to anyone?
theoracle Posts: 7664
Hi, glad your scan went well. We actually were discussing the subject yesterday: http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=198803 Don't know about posterior position, but will let you know in july! :o0
neeov Posts: 4256
I had it. Felt movement (flutters) at about 14 weeks but the movements did not get strong until about 24 weeks. Baby was OT (occiput transverse) when labour started but turned during labour. So it caused no issues for me.
birdie Posts: 954
I have it too, felt little flutters about 14 weeks-ish too but it was a good while before they became big proper 'kicks', probably about 23/24 weeks so I was a bit freaked because last time around I had loads of very obvious and definite movement from a pretty early stage.....also with regard to the hearbeat at my last GP visit 2 weeks ago I almost lost the plot because I could barely hear it and it was kinda flitting in and out, and my friend gave me one of those monitors that you can use yourself at home to listen to the hearbeat and I've never been able to pick it up on that! Have never had a problem with the consultant being able to pick it up though..........I heard that alright about the posterior position but only when I googled it, don't know anyone that it happened to..........neither GP or consultant have made a big thing out of it though, it was more a casual observation than anything else so I'm not going to worry about it!
great ladies thanks! im just glad i know at this stage as if i had been waiting for movement and not getting any, would have been freaking out, especially as this is my second so was expecting to feel movement earlier than last time. and now that i know i can tell my gp at next visit so if she cant get heartbeat there wont be a panic! well if thats all it does im not worried. and will just have to hope baby doesn't go into posterior.
babybuttons Posts: 886
sorry for hijacking. but what is the posterier postion?
hopeforbaby this is when the baby's back is facing your back. (its commonly referred to as back labour - as a result its more painful, especially in your back) so the back of the baby's head is facing your back if you know what i mean. the most common position would have the back of the babys head facing the mothers front. god i hope this makes sense
babybuttons Posts: 886
oh right i get u. so when the baby comes out s/he will be looking up at the ceiling when born. (how naive am i. i thought they all came out that way providing they werent breach. ) i wonder could they tell you later in pregnancy which way the baby is facing so you know what your in for :o0 .
birdie Posts: 954
[quote="kiss the bride":1xeih86m]great ladies thanks![b:1xeih86m] im just glad i know at this stage [/b:1xeih86m]as if i had been waiting for movement and not getting any, would have been freaking out, especially as this is my second so was expecting to feel movement earlier than last time. and now that i know i can tell my gp at next visit so if she cant get heartbeat there wont be a panic! well if thats all it does im not worried. and will just have to hope baby doesn't go into posterior.[/quote:1xeih86m] It is nice to know at 13 weeks, I didn't find out til my 22 week scan (although I kinda had it figured out for myself) so I did all the unneccessary freaking out that you get to avoid now!!!!!!
Marpat Posts: 1784
hi there, When i was pregnant over three years ago, I never felt any major kicks. I had some fluttery feelings but never felt something could really establish was a strong kick. Every time I saw the gynae he would say "plenty of movement?" and I would say "no" and he confirmed every time that the placenta was acting as a cushion in front. No need to worry!