Antibiotics & Alcohol

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Shrub Posts: 956
:wv Quick question, i am currently on a course of antibiotics, is it safe to drink with them? :thnk
sun flowers Posts: 3421
worked for a doctor and when I asked the same question he said as long as you dont over do it.... its all about dehydration rather than the alcohol not making the antibiotic work...... he also said drink water between alcoholic drinks.. (sure whats the point in that)...... :o0
dreamer Posts: 3941
A friend of mine who is a pharmacist once told me, its is safe to drink on them,in that you won't have adverse effects (generally) but they just won't work!! So if you want to get rid of whatever infection or illness it is, to get the full and proper effect of the antibiotic avoid drink until the course is finished!!
[quote="dreamer":yh9ufu8w]A friend of mine who is a pharmacist once told me, its is safe to drink on them,in that you won't have adverse effects (generally) but they just won't work!! So if you want to get rid of whatever infection or illness it is, to get the full and proper effect of the antibiotic avoid drink until the course is finished!![/quote:yh9ufu8w] antibiotics work no matter.. see this...
scotswedding Posts: 2829
It depends on what one you're on. The likes of flagil (sp?) mixed with alcohol can have very bad affects (was warned about this so so much by my dentist, pharmacist & bro). However the likes of amoxycillin or that with drink in moderation are ok. The more alcohol you consume can reduce the effectiveness of them though.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
What ones are they, i know Flaygl in particular will make you violently sick if you drink with them.
[quote="scotswedding":2llv3meq]It depends on what one you're on. The likes of flagil (sp?) mixed with alcohol can have very bad affects (was warned about this so so much by my dentist, pharmacist & bro). However the likes of amoxycillin or that with drink in moderation are ok. The more alcohol you consume can reduce the effectiveness of them though.[/quote:2llv3meq] not ture... alcohol has no effect on the effectiveness of an antibiotic
Shrub Posts: 956
:-8 Im not actually sure what they are, i only started them yesterday, now i feel silly. Dont think i will risk the alcohol, as tempting as it is though >:o)
*gone* Posts: 4785
[quote="Sun Flowers ":38p4k1p0][quote="scotswedding":38p4k1p0]It depends on what one you're on. The likes of flagil (sp?) mixed with alcohol can have very bad affects (was warned about this so so much by my dentist, pharmacist & bro). However the likes of amoxycillin or that with drink in moderation are ok. [b:38p4k1p0]The more alcohol you consume can reduce the effectiveness of them though[/b:38p4k1p0].[/quote:38p4k1p0] not ture... alcohol has no effect on the effectiveness of an antibiotic[/quote:38p4k1p0] Yip yip ... this is a white lie our mammies told us so we wouldn't go boozing on a Friday night when we had chest infections!! :o0 Check on the precsription label - it will say whether or not to avoid alcohol. Something like Flagyl, like the other girls have said, is a complete no no ... one sip of alcohol and you'll be puking. Whereas penicillin based ones are normally ok to have a few bevvies on.
[quote="Cheshire Cat":2ncn6w8f][quote="Sun Flowers ":2ncn6w8f][quote="scotswedding":2ncn6w8f]It depends on what one you're on. The likes of flagil (sp?) mixed with alcohol can have very bad affects (was warned about this so so much by my dentist, pharmacist & bro). However the likes of amoxycillin or that with drink in moderation are ok. [b:2ncn6w8f]The more alcohol you consume can reduce the effectiveness of them though[/b:2ncn6w8f].[/quote:2ncn6w8f] not ture... alcohol has no effect on the effectiveness of an antibiotic[/quote:2ncn6w8f] Yip yip ... this is a white lie our mammies told us so we wouldn't go boozing on a Friday night when we had chest infections!! :o0 Check on the precsription label - it will say whether or not to avoid alcohol. Something like Flagyl, like the other girls have said, is a complete no no ... one sip of alcohol and you'll be puking. Whereas penicillin based ones are normally ok to have a few bevvies on.[/quote:2ncn6w8f] and the flagyl will still work it just doesnt mix well...............as far as I can remember