Antibiotics:( Are they bad?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Excitedwife Posts: 1186
I have been given anti b's due to suspected UTI which I'm not 100% I have.... Baby has just started moving in the last few weeks which is very exciting and I feel so bad putting this into them :o( Are they ok? :thnk
happyfamily Posts: 3323
If your GP prescribed them then i'd be happy to take them. You could try cranberry juice for a few days first though to see if it clears. If you've a raised temp though i'd take the antibiotics
Anne Boleyn Posts: 709
There's no way your doc would have prescribed antibiotics that would harm the baby. As someone who ended up being hospitalised with a kidney infection & off work for weeks, I'd definitely advise you to nip it in the bud & take them. UTIs can be very dangerous in pregnancy as they can bring on premature labour. Don't forget to drink lots of water- I have to drink at least 3 litres a day which is a bit of a pain, but nothing in comparison to what I suffered with my kidneys I can tell you!Hope you feel better soon!
Happymammy2010 Posts: 837
[quote="Anne Boleyn":3o8y8x4v]There's no way your doc would have prescribed antibiotics that would harm the baby. As someone who ended up being hospitalised with a kidney infection & off work for weeks, I'd definitely advise you to nip it in the bud & take them. UTIs can be very dangerous in pregnancy as they can bring on premature labour. Don't forget to drink lots of water- I have to drink at least 3 litres a day which is a bit of a pain, but nothing in comparison to what I suffered with my kidneys I can tell you!Hope you feel better soon![/quote:3o8y8x4v] I completely agree with the above poster - I ended up on a low dose anti biotic for kidney infections for 4.5 months and I still ended up an inpatient 3 times for IV anti biotics and had to finish work at 32 weeks so I say take them if they were prescribed as there is no way your doc would give them if you didnt need them - UTI is very dangerous and can cause prem labour! Drink plenty of water and cranberry juice! I hope you feel better soon!
Salander Posts: 1639
if you don't like cranberry juice ask your phamasist for cranberry tablets/capsules - much nicer (they don't taste like lighter fluid! :o0 ). i will be taking them this time round as a precaution against getting a uti.
marles Posts: 1397
I'm on antibiotics at the mo,I wasn't inclined to take them but my Dr. suggested very strongly that I take them.I know the Dr. wouldn't have perscribed them. The Dr suggested I drink lots and lots of water.I'm only on a 7 day course so thats not too bad. If you have to take them then take them.I wasn't able to fight a virus,it was taking more of a toll on my body than the pregnancy.I'm off work until Monday to build up my energy.
alwayshoping Posts: 409
its important to finish the course of antibiotics too or it wont kill all the bugs and youll just end up on more! def agree the doc wouldnt have prescribed them if he felt you didnt need em
Excitedwife Posts: 1186
Thanks girls...I have started them!
cappucino Posts: 160
Hi Girls, I had to take an antibiotic too last week for 7 days for a chest infection & was really reluctant. The Doc had said they were fine. I also called the VHI helpline and spoke to a great midwife who assured me its better for me to take them and get better than let it develop to pnemonia or something and end up in a really bad way. She said the baby is fine and would still get all its nutrients from the placenta... Still not the best and now on an inhaler! I guess they dont qualify as doctors for no reason!
funkyfish Posts: 7626
nope. infection is much more harmful...