any 1st time mams not doindg antenatal classes?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lunasa* Posts: 46
just wondering of any first time mammies not going to bother with the ante natal classes? time are awkward in my area nad have heard they not really worth doin ??? thanks :wv
mrsodo Posts: 1292
Hi Lunasa, I did the classes in HS and I have to say I'm glad I went along. It was useful finding out about labour, the signs of labour, when I should go to hospital etc. And then what to expect when I get there. Maybe you could look into doing a day course? I'm sure you'll be fine either way, but I did find the classes useful. :wv
Maybump Posts: 527
I did them but to be honest we could of not bothered more info in the books I read!! I was just glad of the half day off work that's why I went.
mayday08 Posts: 704
I did them in the hospital also and i think they are very important to get you focused on the event.
cheerio Posts: 275
I did one of the day long private courses (by private I mean that we paid for it ourselves, not that there was just us there). Didn't find it that great to be honest but DH got more out of it than I did. I knew most of it already. One thing that really annoyed me afterwards is that the woman who gave the course said that your DH cannot stay with you when you go in to be induced. Didn't fret too much over it at the time but then it so happened that I did have to be induced, and I was going in fully expecting DH to be sent home until I was in full labour! Of course this didn't happen and I was raging that I had worried so much about it. Wrote a letter of complaint afterwards but of course never heard anything back. As to whether you do them or not, I think it depends on how well-informed you already are or maybe more accurately how well-informed you [i:kvvsmt21]want[/i:kvvsmt21] to be :o0 :o0 My SIL knew absolutely nothing going in to hospital and that's exactly how she wanted it. I preferred to arm myself with as much info as possible! People are different. Best of luck whatever you choose to do! :wv
funkyfish Posts: 7626
i didn't find them useful at all, got more advice from books and women on this site.
Vogue Posts: 426
I found them invaluable and I thought I knew everything there is to know! I think it all depends on the midwife...
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
I didn't do any ante-natal classes and am glad I didn't! I bought lots of books on pregnancy and when new baby arrived and found them invaluable. This book is brilliant for when baby arrives - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Baby-Week- ... 367&sr=1-2
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
I didn't do as, like you, times were very awkward. Although I'd have been given time off work to go to them, both dh and I were extremely busy in our jobs and I commute an hour and a half each way so it just seemed like too big a commitment. I think it was harder for dh that we didn't go, though, and I felt a bit guilty that I hadn't looked into alternatives so he could meet other dads. We bought this, though and watched it together - http://www.birthwisedvd.com/ I really enjoyed it. Although some of it is a bit hippyish or whatever (as you'd expect!), there's a lot that's really honest and reassuring. Like this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnxbvGJV ... playnext=1 It had never occurred to me that it would be normal to have a 'slow burn' with getting to love your baby. Now I don't know if I will or I won't but at least I won't feel like a freak if it isn't instananeous..If you're happy to take what you like and leave what you don't, I'd recommend it.
rady Posts: 919
I went to one ante natal class- after driving 35 minutes home on a stormy night- and being 8 months pregnant- i just thought not worth it . i went out and bought Dr miriam stoppards guide to pregnancy and birth and didnt look back . it was really good and i could put the feet up in the evenings. These ante natal classes can be REALLY hard work to get to- sure my mum nor her mum didnt have them and got on fine - thats the way i looked at them.