any accountants on here

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dott Posts: 24
Hi, I am thinking of returning to college and was hoping to do an accountancy course. now i am 10 yrs out of school. just wondering if anyone who has studied accountancy could let me know would i need to have some basic knowledge of it and is the course hard Thanks in advance :thnk
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
I don't have any experience in that field, but just wondering if you did accountancy for the leaving cert, and if so, did you have an aptitude for it then?
mrswifey09 Posts: 1300
I am not an accountant, but do some accounting as part of my degree...in 4th yr now and have corporate finance... I was useless at it in school...dropped down to pass business studies in 3rd yr so I wouldnt have to do the accounting bit, never did it for Lc. In first and second yr of my degree which I did full time I bluffed my way through...got about 50/60% all along th way, and last yr and this I have really improved..up to 70%...I suppose what I am really trying to say is that even if you were bad at it bac in school you apply yourself differently now, esp wen its something you really want to do!! good luck wth ur decision!!
theoracle Posts: 7664
There are several ways of becoming an accountant: Most people enter their training to become a CA (Chartered Accountant) at the following levels: •Graduate •Post-graduate •School-leaver •Other Routes A. The Graduate Route The majority of students that enrol with the Institute are graduates from 3rd level institutions, comprising of business and non – business graduates alike. Business Graduate Exemptions The Institute recognises that business graduates already have a broad academic foundation for the further study required for professional examinations. The range of exemptions offered reflects the content and level of the qualification obtained, some qualifications gaining an entire exemption from CA Proficiency 1. Non – Business Graduate Exemptions Many CAs have qualified in non-business related disciplines such as law, computer science, engineering, arts etc. The Institute encourages this, recognising that their diverse backgrounds bring an invaluable mix of skills and knowledge to the profession. The first examination for non-business graduates is CA Proficiency 1. The programme leading to the CA Proficiency 1 examination, and especially the subject “Financial Accounting” assumes some prior knowledge of the subject. We therefore recommend that students participate in an introductory course in basic accounting. B. The Post-Graduate Route Business Graduates Full-time, one year, post-graduate Masters in Accounting for business graduates are offered in U.C.D, D.C.U., D.I.T (Aungier St), N.U.I. Galway, Waterford I.T., Letterkenny I.T. and the University of Ulster at Jordanstown. Students who successfully meet the criteria on these courses are exempt from the entirety of CA Proficiency 1 and CA Proficiency 2 (or Professional Three) and join the Institute having completed much of their professional study and examination requirements. Non – Business Graduates Full time, one year post-graduate Diploma programmes are available for non- business graduates. These are offered at Dublin City University, Dublin Institute of Technology (Aungier St) and the University of Ulster at Jordanstown. Students who successfully meet the criteria on these programmes are exempt from the entirety of CA Proficiency 1. Details of these post-graduate courses can be obtained from the Dept of Accounting / Finance at the respective bodies. C. School-leaver / Direct Entry Route Students who have obtained 360 points in their Leaving Certificate and gain a distinction in the Institute of Accounting Technicians 1-year foundation course, are eligible to progress to the ICAI’s CA Proficiency 1 Examination. Students register with IATI and ICAI at the same time. D. Other Entry Routes Prospective students who do not fall into any of the above entry routes are typically: •Holders of other professional qualifications e.g. IATI •Mature Students •Holders of HETAC / NVQ or equivalent awards The procedure for such students is broadly similar to that for graduates. There is, however, no automatic entitlement to exemptions. Students must obtain a formal letter from the Institute setting out the conditions under which it will permit entry. The length of your training contract will depend on how you enter the system: Entry Level Length of Contract Graduate 3.5 years Post Graduate 3 years School leaver – (Direct Entry) 5 / 5.5 years Other eg. IATI graduate 4 years According to the Irish Institute of Chartered Accountants : Every Chartered Accountant must: •Gain work-experience under a training contract with a firm recognised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland •Pass professional examinations set by the Institute •Demonstrate competence in Information Technology
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
Have a look at the ACCA, CPA etc websites to get an idea of the different accountancy qualifications. You may qualify for some exemptions, depending on your qualifications to date. These are professional qualifications. Studying Accountancy at college is different as it just relates to diploma/degree. You will need to go on to attain professional qualifications - but will get exemptions for your diploma/degree etc - in order to qualify as an accountant. There is also the option of Accountancy Technician.
teapotty Posts: 2085
I'd be inclined to tell you to skip past general college courses and go straight for either the Accountant Technician qaulification or a full Accountant qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CPA or ACA. For any of these institutes you can join and begin their exams without ever having done any business or accounting studies. I think as a mature student there's no point going back into a regular diploma or degree course if it's accounting you're interested in- just join the institute you think suits you best and get stuck in. I'm a CIMA accountant btw, PM if I can be of any help.
dott Posts: 24
Thanks for all the replies ladies. ye are all very helpful @teapotty...just wondering why u would be more inclined not to do the college route. i was going to apply to gmit next month. i am currently doing a fetac business course and have done some accounting in it but don't want to start something and then find that its too hard and end up dropping out Thanks again for all the advice :wv
Momof2 Posts: 3884
if your not sure I'd got the IATI route I did this and it was more than enough for me I have a few friends who tried to go the CPA and ACCA exams and it took them years it gets quite tough as it goes on. At least after two years with IATI you have your basic qualification and it will give you some exemptions if you decide to go forward with it to accountancy levels.
DiamondWife Posts: 1347
i did my exams by night while working as a trainee accountant - i did the Accounting Technician first and then did the ACCA exams - totally do-able even if you didn't do accounting for the leaving cert, i gave it up at junior cert! If I was you I'd try get a trainee position and work your way up as the experience from practice really is invaluable. hth
teapotty Posts: 2085
[quote="dott":2ln718g8] @teapotty...just wondering why u would be more inclined not to do the college route. i was going to apply to gmit next month. [/quote:2ln718g8] To save both time and money. If being either and accountant or an accountant technician is your goal then I think you should go straight to it. I don't know your academic level or abilities but if you fear going straight for being a qualified accountant might be too much then do as audreys said: do the technician course first and if you find that's tough enough then at least you have a qualification from it. If you want more then it will give you exemptions from exams for any of the accountancy qualifications. Now some courses do offer great exemptions for the professional accounting exams but it's only [b:2ln718g8]some[/b:2ln718g8]. You could easily find you waste a year or even two in an accounting course that gives you no exemptions from professional exams- that to me would be a terrible waste of time and money. Remember that a course with the word "accounting" in the title does not necessarily get you anywhere nearer to being a qualified accountant. Unless of course it offers lots of exemptions.