Any bank workers? Can I turn bank account into joint account

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Newme2013 Posts: 704
Anyone know if I can turn my own bank account into a joint account and add my husband? Have been meaning to set up a joint account since we got married but never got around to it. Nearly all DD's etc are set up from my bank account so I am wondering if I can just turn that account into a joint account and add my husband to it?? I'm guessing it's probably not that easy :-(
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm not a bank worker but we did this after we got married, turned my husband's account into a joint account for savings. I don't think it was much hassle to do. We did it with Ulster Bank.
Perci Posts: 3847
We're with AIB and we couldn't turn our personal current accounts into a joint current account. We needed to set up a new joint account and transfer all the DDs. The bank does most of the work but we still contacted the various companies to let them know the change of DD details so there were no hitches. But if a headache but its sorted now.
Newme2013 Posts: 704
Thanks ladies. Perci that sounds like a pain alright but if we have to do it then so be it. We're with BOI so hopefully they're different.
luckybride2014 Posts: 58
Hi Newme2013, I'm with Ulster Bank and so is my H2B, we turned my account into a joint account no problem. He just had to take in photo ID and they made it a joint account no problem.
Sounds like the banks just have different practices but AIB don't make anything easy so hopefully BOI are more flexible!
Time For A Change Posts: 6885
I would've thought it would've been straight forward enough. I'm surprised you still had to ring around a few places Perci. We've always been with PTSB, so naturally we just sent up the joint account with them, but we still have our own personal accounts with them too.
When we enquired about it we got the spiel about them handling all the DDs. When we actually went into the bank we got the story about the DD mandates being an agreement between ourselves and the individual companies so we would need to contact them to amend the details. I think they did contact them in the end but it was all so confusing! We only did it a few months ago so it's all fresh in my mind!
and baby makes 5 Posts: 356
Sorry, no, Boi also won't convert sole account to joint, or joint to sole unless one of the parties is deceased.
Mrs Stewart Posts: 443
As far as i'm aware, BOI will infact turn a sole a/c into a joint a/c - there's a form for it - think it's a 1-1 or a 1-2, but it shouldn't be a problem.