Any Bride's making a speech?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sherry79 Posts: 88
Just wondering if any of you out there intend making a speech the day of the wedding. I have seen it done before but don't know would I have the stomach for it. I really want to thank my parent and my wonderful mother in law but is it better I do it in private rather than in front of everyone? My H2B isn't very in favour of me making a speech but he's just afraid I'll end up crying! Any advice? :wv
MrsTiredbride Posts: 3397
I was doing it but h2b has said that he would prefer that we make a speech together instead.
Woolie28 Posts: 110
I'd love to be able to get up and thank my parents and my H2B but if I'm honest with myself i just don't think i can do it without crying. What you could do (i might!) is do what my friend did. Mention it to the hotel wedding co-ordinator that you MAY want to say a few words. Then when the speeches are finishing they'll look at you. See how you are then how you feel. If you don't feel you can, then don't, if you feel you can, just nod and the mike will come your way. No pressure as nobody knows you are even thinking about saying a few words.
007Babs Posts: 417
Girls I did a speech and I am absolutely delighted I did. I am in no way an outgoing person and I dreaded the thoughts of doing it, both before the day and especially on the day when my turn was next, but I got up and did it and when it was over, I was on such a high. I wrote it all out beforehand and read most of it out instead of saying it off the top of my head but even so, people still say to me that it was one of the nicest speeches they ever heard. Now I am not saying this to blow my own trumpet but rather I am saying it because if I, a shy person by nature who doesn't like the limelight, can do it, then you can do it too. Go for it - you won't regret being able to thank everybody personally (they will love the mention!) but you might regret not doing it. My friend did a great one - she made up a totally rhyming poem about meeting her H2B and about what he is like - it was brilliant!
mid-summer bride Posts: 175
[quote="Woolie28":2z03wkb1]I'd love to be able to get up and thank my parents and my H2B but if I'm honest with myself i just don't think i can do it without crying. What you could do (i might!) is do what my friend did. Mention it to the hotel wedding co-ordinator that you MAY want to say a few words. Then when the speeches are finishing they'll look at you. See how you are then how you feel. If you don't feel you can, then don't, if you feel you can, just nod and the mike will come your way. No pressure as nobody knows you are even thinking about saying a few words.[/quote:2z03wkb1] I am planning on doing a speech and I was thinking of this but to be honest if I told the co-ordinator that I MAY want to speak I'd more than likely chicken out at the last minute. I know I'd be sorry afterwards so I'm going to tell him from the start that I'm going to speak. We are having the speeches before the meal so I think this may make it easier....
serenity Posts: 3675
Girls, I made a speech and am absolutely thrilled that I did... I was nervous about it even though I am quite used to public speaking, but still this was in front of all my family and friends... Anyway, I did it and I am thrilled I did to be honest with you because I got to personally thank everybody I wanted to especially my close family and friends..... I think if you can do it, do it, but if you feel you will cry/be sick at the thought of it, don't let it ruin your day.... xxx
Linda H Posts: 1151
Would absolutely love to but I don't know if I have the guts...
chaos Posts: 1904
im planning on making one, was at a wedding once where the bride made up a poem about how they met and went on up to the wedding day, it was brilliant, would love to do something like that but am useless at poetry!
nbz Posts: 110
I will definitely be making a speech. I have been writing it in my head ever since we got engaged. Am quite used to giving talks in front of loads of people for work though, so that aspect of it isn't daunting. I have only been to 2 weddings where the bride didn't give a speech (OK this makes about 20% of weddings I've been to), so among my friends it's the norm. Can't wait!
doesmybumlookbiginthis? Posts: 480
007babs and chaos was that the same wedding? im undecided bout the whole speeches thing to be honest cos h2b is very very shy and i told him he wouldnt have to make one at all so i dont know wether to do without speeches or to make one myself...what do u reckon i should do?