Any Dublin consultants that are known for natural labour?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Babyboomerang Posts: 543
Hi everyone, I haven't chosen my hospital or consultant yet so I'm trying to research my options. I gave birth to DS abroad and had a natural labour, just G&A, with minimal intervention and I want to find a consultant that will support that for No. 2. I think I am outside the catchment area for Rotunda Domino, but only just. I think the Rotunda would be my preferred hospital but I know my SIL went to the Coombe because she wanted a specific consultant. I'd really like to hear from people who found their consultant to be very hands-off (until necessary), that includes no ARM and no meds. To be honest I wish I could just tell some of my family that we're PG so that I can pick their brains O:| Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give a review on line. Thanks :thnk
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
Carol Barry-Kinsella in rotunda is great. I had completely natural labour (would've liked epidural but was too late!) She was very encouraging, determined not to use any intervention unless completely necessary.
Thanks a mill S&S, that's exactly the kind of recommendation I was hoping for.
nelswife Posts: 3869
I am sure any consultant will respect your decison not to have any pain relief or any intervention unless its necessary.You could ring a couple of hospitals that you were thinking of going too and ask them the relevant quesions you want answered, i am sure they would onlh be to happy to answer them for you. Best of luck with your pregnancy and decision!
I've just called the Domino in Rotunda and it seems that I'm just about within the catchment area :o)ll I spoke with a really helpful midwife and she explained how it would all work so now I just need to go home and have a chat with hubby. I'm not sure how he'll feel about a midwife lead unit, but personally I think it's the route that I'm most comfortable with. Talk about 2 very different births!! The first was totally consultant lead, albeit a natural birth, and the second possibly a midwife one.
twoboys Posts: 320
Midwife led/DOMINO is your best bet. Depending on where you live you could also consider the midwife led team in the Coombe as they are building their new birth center within the hospital at the moment. It's due to open in April and they'll have a birth pool. The Rotunda removed their pool and they don't have a separated midwife led area - so in early labour you're in the regular wards. If you're on the northside there's also the Midwife Led Unit in Drogheda. Here's the FB page - they have their own private birth suites with pools.....pullout bed for Dad and family to stay over....ensuite bathroom and visits at home after the birth. It's essentially private care - but free :o)ll http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Midwif ... 03?fref=ts Tracy
bobby2012 Posts: 644
Are you going private or public? I don't know anything about private, but I had my first 2 children at the Coombe public and am going for the third one there public as well, chose the same consultant again and I have to say she was brilliant. I made it pretty clear I didn't want any pain relief or meds or intervention and she was very good putting me at ease. I did end up using gas to control my breathing (I'm asthmatic), but as I said, no pain relief, no nothing, she was very encouraging to have a natural birth, as you'd say. With my daughter I even had a bit of a scare (read too much about instrumental intervention and potential damage to the baby so almost begged for a c-section), and she went out of her way to put me right off it. Very grateful to her now.
Bobby, I am open to all of the options at the moment, but up until now have been leaning towards going private because I thought it would give me more input into my consultant and birth in general. I didn't think you could choose a consultant when you are public. Just thought you got whoever was working at that time. Gosh, there's so much to find out. I assumed that the midwife unit would be separate, but within the hospital, so I'd be a bit disappointed if we were all lumped together for labour. I thought the whole idea was that it was less like a hospital and more like a homebirth. It sounds like that's what they're going for at the Coombe if they have a pool. I'll check out that link twoboys, thanks. OLOL would be too far away I think because I'm inside the M50. I don't fancy an epic drive when I'm in labour. Hubby is a bit wary of this midwife approach and is asking me loads of questions that I can't answer, so we'll have to look into it more. If i went private would I get a scan at each appointment? This is something that I had on my first pregnancy and it's a big jump to go from that to almost no scans at all. Dh is a bit worried that something might get missed.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
I didn't know you could choose either, but the person that took in my details on the first visit always asked me which consultant I wanted. Now, I can't remember if I was asked the first time (too long ago), but afterwards yes. And in my experience at least I saw her every second visit as the worst (and her colleague in between, there were only 2 of them). I tried the domino and midwife-led care with my son, I really didn't like it. Maybe because my midwife was just bad. Asked to go back to the consultant after one visit. I got scanned every visit with my daughter and didn't even see my GP although I had combined care because my consultant wanted to be sure of her growth. I got quite a few scans with my son, but can't remember how many. Sorry can't give you any info on actually going private. Although we considered it with every pregnancy, we ended up not seeing the point to be honest.
twoboys Posts: 320
For care in labour unless you have a complication you won't see a doctor (your consultant may or may not be there at the birth). The midwives provide all of your clinical care for a straightforward normal birth. For the kind of birth you're interested in around the Dublin area midwife led in the Coombe is your best bet - but you won't get the scans. If you go private in the Coombe you don't get access to the midwife led unit, unfortunately it's one or the other. Midwife led care is actually the recommended care for normal low risk women - midwife led is associated with less interventions and improved outcomes. Let your hubby know that if any issues arise in pregnancy or birth you are referred to an obstetrician. This is the latest Cochrane review on the benefits of midwife led care (might be useful for your partner to read). http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004667/ ... ring-women Tracy (Author of The Irish Better Birth Book)