Any feedback on Cavan Hospital

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bride may Posts: 435
I have just had to change hospitals from Mullingar to Cavan, was really dissapointed with Mullingar which suprised me as I have always found them very good on other areas. Went for the 12 week sacn and the doctor was horrible really rude and offensive, then he said he didn't want to see me until week 28 which I thought was a long break but he knows what he is talking about, he then refused to tell the sex of the child which I want to know, so I decided I was going to book a private scan for about week 20-22. Someone suggested getting it in Mullingar hospital, so I rang and they said I had to go to Clane which is fine I then discovered by accident that Mullingar hospital do ONE scan only at 12 weeks and thats it. I couldn't believe I wouldn't get one at my 28 week apt or after that. So over all I was not impressed as there is bad medical history in my family. So I rang Cavan woman I spoke to was lovely and said I would recieve a scan at 23 weeks also she seemed alot more proffessional and I have my first apt there in 2 weeks. Firstly don't know where hospital is in Cavan if anyone can help there and second I have got mixed feedback alot of it not good, so if anyone has any feedback I was be very grateful. Am I completely wrong is everyone else out there only getting one scan and I am over dramatic? Thanks
clucky Posts: 26471
oh lord i had heard that about mullingar and the one scan basically they only give you another one if they think there is any complications if everything seems fine they dont bother - i have actually looked into going back to dublin when i get pg again rather than go there i have heard so many people with the same complaint as yourself. ah why do you want to know the sex - it is on of life's great little surprises
I want to know so I can buy stuff for my little son or daughter not buy lemon and white everything and also have a name for my bump I thinks it more personal. I don't mind if its a boy or girl just really want to know. Could never understand why anyone would want it to be a suprise, the suprsie for me will be who he/she will look like etc but I want to refer to bump as him or her not it or bump. I am 99% sure its a boy anyway for a number of reasons but just want it confirmed. Thats just me :lol:
i can understand that what doctor was so pig ingnorant anyway? its a shame its only 10 mins down the road yet people are telling me to avoid it and go to portlaoise instead -i'd probably give birth in the car
Dr Mortell - first question he asked was "had we not heard of the pill" he knew we were married so we had to explain that we were happy about pregnancy, then he told me that I can gain up to 3 stone in pregnancy and he was prepared to have the door widened for me! I am a size 14 for fuck sake not a size 40! then when working dates out I told him I knew the exact date and he said so did half of Mullingar as they could hear us from there! really embarassing oh it just goes on and of course sat there like a gobshite in so much shock I didn't say anything neither did hubby as he said he was the same trying to figure out if this guy thought he was being funny or not. I just want another scan to make sure baby is ok it not just to find out babies sex, Cavan could say the same thing and thats fine. Its just this is my first I don't know how I should be feeling etc I am 16 weeks now geting bigger but that all I know, there should be a scan at 20 weeks at least surely at 12 weeks there is little to see.
holy hell what a fruit loop - really put your mind at ease didnt he??? yeah get another scan organised to put your mind at rest jesus the last thing you need now is to be worrying ignorant bo***x
Looks like I am the only one using Cavan then!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Hi bride may, I know mrsaugust05 is attending Cavan General - not sure how much she logs on here anymore though. As regards the one scan - it's common practise in a lot of hospitals - that's why private scans are becoming more popular. Also, the doc wouldn't have been able to tell the sex of the baby at 12 weeks, so dunno why he didn't just say that instead of leading you to believe he was just being mean by not telling?! Can't believe the things he said though - you're better off attending somewhere else. Was there no-one else in Mullingar that you could have seen? It just may be troublesome if Cavan is very far away from where you are.... Best of luck.
Hi Jellybaby, Cavan is actually closer to my home, just choose Mullingar because I have been there before for other things and found them very good also husband works in Mullingar and easier for him. I know he wouldn't have been able to tell me sex of baby at 12 weeks husband asked him when he would be able to tell sex of baby and he said "when it pops out" when we questioned him he said he would not be telling us the sex. I did a google search on Cavan today and got some good feedback so fingers crossed, thanks for replying.
CGJuly05 Posts: 25
Hi bride may, I will be using Cavan, am only 7 weeks so haven't had my first appointment yet, however, i have a 10 year old daughter and I attended Cavan with her. It is a long time ago and I know the consultants have changed since then, but I found Cavan very good and couldn't really fault them at all. Like I say its not very up to date advice, but any of my friends that have attended more recently have all had good experiences. I'm sure it can't be worse that your experience in Mullingar!!