any good books??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rop Posts: 1453
any one recomend a good book or two?? will read anything.... just joined so looking for something to get my teeth into...
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
I'm reading the Illegal Self by Peter Carey. It's good but you might not get it there as it's just been released. Other ones I've read recently are The Secret History, The Gathering and Middlesex. Depending on what you're into I find the Booker Prize longlists are good for ideas.
gerbil Posts: 3528
Can second LGFAK's recommendation for The Secret History, Donna tartt is excellent and her other book, the Little Friend, is very good too (not as good though, i think) Ever read any Iain Pears? An Instance of the Fingerpost is excellent as is The Dream of Scipio - both are really worth tracking down. ETA also worth a look at the moment is The Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier, and Random Acts of Heroic Love, Danny Scheinmann My Mistress's Sparrow Is Dead, by Jeffrey Eugenides (Editor) (collection)
tags Posts: 544
DON'T read The Memory Keepers Daughter or The Woman in the Fifth. They are the last 2 I read and I hated them. I loved the Pursuit of Happiness by Douglas Kennedy but I don't like his other books (Woman in the Fifth was one of them). I read Star of the Sea a while back and even though it took a couple of chapters to get into it, I loved it. Its set in the Famine and I don't normally read historical books but it was a good thriller. I have the next one in the series which I'm getting stuck into this week - Redemption Falls. I was googling last night for some reading tips so keep 'em coming girls!
MrsBlues Posts: 5170
I read A Thousand Splendid Suns recently, it's heartbreaking, but I'd highly recommend it. The Kite Runner is another good one.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
I am just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (he also wrote Remains of the Day). It blew me away. I love books that unsettle you and this truly does. It's brilliantly written.
niadan Posts: 259
I really liked The Memory Keepers Daughter and The House at Riverton. It's a personal choice really.
LMR Posts: 1925
I can really recommend Half A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I read it recently and couldn't put it down. It was fantastic.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
Purple Hibiscus is excellent too.
honeyec Posts: 969
Ooh, I :lvs books! Here are a few of my all-time faves: The Book Thief, Markus Zusack The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold White Oleander, Janet Fitch The Time Traveller's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, John Boyne The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Stephen King The Dark Tower Series, Stephen King The Spook's Apprentice, Joseph Delaney His Dark Materials trilogy, Philip Pullman The Unquiet, John Connolly In fact, anything by Stephen King, Michael Connelly or John Connolly. Santa brought me The Gathering for Christmas, but I can't find it anywhere :o( Have also heard fantastic things about "Marley & Me" by John Grogan.