Any HR experts out there?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dub gal Posts: 382
Hi girls just wondering if anyone out there works in HR and could help me. We have gone into a consultation period at work. At least 1/3 of the company will be layed off. I'm 25 weeks pregnant. What are my rights?
hurry2011 Posts: 281
ring citizens advice they are very good, you dont have to give them any details of who you are or where you work. Hope it all works out for you and best of luck with the baby :)
quinerty Posts: 22
As far as I know an employee is protected from redundancy while on Mat leave only. Before Mat leave and after Mat leave you're treated the same as everyone else. It's up to the company you work for after that. The company I currently work for were restructuring and they identified a number of roles (50%) at risk of redundancy. Anyone pregnant at the time got their mat leave and the option to take voluntary severence. Most took the package after their Mat leave. You should check through your employment contract, use citizens advice and if you're in a union I'd contact them as well. Best of luck - hope it all works out for you.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
If the company are legitimately in touble then you will be treated like the other employees as you are still working there and not on maternity leave like the OP said. The only way you might have additional rights is if your company provide paid maternity leave so you could argue that you had an expectation of pay up to a certain date and they would need to include that in your redundancy package. When selecting for redundancy it's important they do it fairly and not victimise you for being pregnant. For example if they operate a last in first put policy and you get chosen before someone with less service then it would be seen as discrimination. Stay close to the process and make sure you get all the appropriate information. I am a HR Manager and if you have any other issues feel free to PM me. Best of Luck :wv
Dub gal Posts: 382
Girls thanks so much. Brown2be thanks for the advise I might well need to bounce a few questions your way. At the moment we're in consultation period so I won't know till that happens where I stand.