Any landlords out there ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Boomerang Gal Posts: 714
Hi Girls, i was wondering if any of you Wollies could help me ? I am going to rent my house out as i need to move and I need to get my hands on a rental / tenancy agreement. I have never been a landlord before and was hoping that one of you lovely ladies would be able to send me a copy ? Also, are there any important tips i should know about ?? :wv Thanks !
Finished here Posts: 2860
Check out http://www.topfloor.ie/lease.php and www.irishlandlord.com, to be honest even though it is usseful to have these agreements I have found in the past that if touch wood anything goes wrong they are not worth the paper that they are written on ! The most important thing is to register with the PRTB http://www.prtb.ie/ as this is where you will need to go if any disputes arise. A few other tips below - make sure your tenants set up a standing order for rent, to ensure payment on time every month - get at least two previous landlord references - be sure to do regular inspections and meet with the tenants regularly to nip any worrying or bad behaviour in the bud i.e. lack of maintenance such as cleaning etc on property, too much partying in house etc - make sure you take meter readings and transfer all bills for gas and electricity into tenants names as soon as you can after they move in - be sure to get a deposit and the first months rent before they move in ! Hope some of that helps ! If you choose to get some help from a management company to get tenants they will also do a lot of the above work including tenancy agreement and their fees can be written off when you put your tax returns in !
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
I have one if you want to pm me your details I will send it on to you . have tips also and will sent them on to you aswell just dont have time right now :wv
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
get a rent book, we find it great as our tennants and us know whats been paid etc
gillette Posts: 1803
Take photos of the property just before you let it, preferably with a date stamp on them. Also, do a walk through of the property with the tenant just before you sign the lease and literally go through everything that's on the contents list with them. We laughed when our landlord did it (one WC with seat, one sink - as if we'd make off with them!) but it was great when we were moving out and weren't sure which kitchen bits were hers and which were ours - we knew the list was accurate. It also meant that we knew that the fact that the leg on the coffee table was wobbly when we moved in was recorded at the time and couldn't be blamed on us.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
Hey, Use the www.topfloor.ie/lease Residential Agreement. Take an ESB reading and Change the ESB and other bills into your tenants name, as if they Fuck off and leave you with a big bill, when you change it back into your name, you arent responsible for the bill they racked up. Also, get them to sign a PRTB form and put their PPSN on it. Your legally required to register the tenancy with the PRTB, although it does cost €70, €140 if you register it over 30 days over the start of the tenancy. Tell your tenants that you inspect the house regularly, as this will hopefully ensure that they keep it right. Get your tenants to set up a standing order to pay the rent into your account. Keep a close eye on this. If your money isn't in on time, ring the tenant. Always keep on top of your rent. If you give any sort of lee-way on this, your tenants could take advantage. If your tenants are paying you directly (in cash) keep a rent book. Ensure for a months deposit up front and keep a note of everything in the house and the condition it was in when the tenant moved in. If you could, photograph the rooms. The top floor lease is great, you just write it what you want but I have the same on a word doc. that you can fill in the details, if you want to make it look more official looking. PM me if you need it, or any other details.
mrdvd Posts: 649
Well I am also a landlord and would echo most of what is said already (I can also send you a lease if you need one). I would make sure the place is clean before someone moves in- start as you mean to finish. Do photo/video all items and rooms- you can use a newspaper to confirm the date. provide basics such as working hoover, cutlery and set of dishes. Make sure all items work- showers, kettles etc. If you do give them a TV- make sure they are aware the TV license is their responsibility (it will be in the lease anyway) Leave in copy of instructions for washing machine/heating etc Sellotape details how to reset the alarm inside a cupboard door where they can find it quickly when they inevitably set off alarm Make sure they are aware of refuse/recycling days and where tags may be purchased. Some councils require a bin sticker as well- you may decide to cover that Do not hassle your tenants but make sure you keep them happy- they have lots of choice Remember THEY have rights. Once they are in, you can't enter the property unless invited. So check out their rights. Consider- who would be suitable in your property and look for these people. If it's over a pub- it may suit singletons. If a quiet house then a family may be ideal. Will you take rental supplements? This may mean taking some payment from the tenant and the difference from the health board or other agency. Finally- make sure they pay by direct debit and have your bank details on your lease. You are looking for a world of hassle if you have to physically collect rent Martin
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I rented rooms out in my house few yrs ago and guess my advice would be expect wear and tear on the house and realistically don;t expect everyone to look after the house as you would. The majority of people I rented to (with the exception of 1 or 2 and the less said about them the better!) pay rent etc but won't clean the house as much as I would so had to learn to get used to that. And defo think the point about keeping on their good side is great - nowadays theres any amount of properties and if you get good tenants hang on to them!
Littlebo Posts: 2598
[quote="SorrentoWife":2zmzmvyw]I rented rooms out in my house few yrs ago and guess my advice would be expect wear and tear on the house and realistically don;t expect everyone to look after the house as you would. The majority of people I rented to (with the exception of 1 or 2 and the less said about them the better!) pay rent etc but won't clean the house as much as I would so had to learn to get used to that. And defo think the point about keeping on their good side is great - nowadays theres any amount of properties and if you get good tenants hang on to them![/quote:2zmzmvyw] +1.......we are very lucky have had one of the tenants there for the last 3 years but he has just moved out and what a loss. He wasn't the best at cleaning but wonderful in every other way. One of the others is there two years and the new girl who is lovely has just moved in and we hope to keep her! The secret to it all....make sure they are happy and that you are also. they will pay rent on time and will keep it as good as they can if you are good to them. we repainted it last year ( after two years) they have good keather couches, tv, all new mod cons etc. We are going this Sunday to buy new Crockery, Mop etc and I will leave a Pie in the house just to make it nice for them. I have lovely pictures etc in the House and have it decorated really nice. We always make sure that they are okay...Let me make it clear though that do not get overinvolved....one of them I have never even met even though he is there two years! My ~H2B has but only a few times,,,,let them live their lives and in essence it is their house and they can do what they want in reason. Just make sure that you are doing your job and providing the necessaries and sometimes a little more! Especially if they are a good tenants.
06bridenov Posts: 145
Hi There, Sorry don't mean to hi-jack post but just wondering about paying tax... This is my first time to rent out our property and I currently have it with a managing company. I was just wondering will I have to pay a big tax bill at the end of the year..?