Any Montessori teachers?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*Smajra* Posts: 1440
Hi Girls, Would be really gratefull if any Montessori teachers could give me some ideas as to what kind of questions to expect at an interview for a position in a Montessori school. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
gottabfp Posts: 5641
i am :o)ll :o)ll they will prob jst ask you? how you would plan your day... what kind of activities you would do? what would you do if you had a difficult child in the room? what would you do if you had a child who was biting? these are ususally the kind of questions i ask when im interviewing. have you worked as a montessori teacher before?
Mrspiggytobe Posts: 281
I am a Montessori teacher too. I would ask a potential employee to present some Montessori exercises also, it is very easy to get an impression of someone's teaching ability if they do a demo, even presenting to and adult insead of a child. Also i would ask how you would handly emergency situations eg if a child collapsed or had an allergic reaction, and what you would do if someone you didn't know arrived to collect a student. Also how you would approach difficult behavior. Very important not to give a child negative image of themselves, so instead of 'being bold', you say that x is not a very nice thing to do & that he/she is a very nice boy/girl and we don't do these things. Also i would ensure that someone has cop-on. Very important and very surprisingly lacking in so many working in the industry!! Good luck, i'm sure you'll do great!!
Thanks so much ladies. I'm newly qualified so this will actually be my very first interview for a teaching position! I dont expect to get it given my lack of hands on experience but I need the interview experience so I want to really give it my best shot. I have plenty of experience with children in other capacities so I'm confident in my abilities to handle children with sensitivity and respect and I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience during my study. I'm just nervous about questions such as how I would plan my day as I dont really have the experience to answer that. I'm feeling a bit panicy about making a fool of myself and coming accross as not knowing what I'm talking about. I have such a passion for this profession and I'm really eager to get started in my new career!
[quote="*Smajra*":3chwmyrn]Thanks so much ladies. I'm newly qualified so this will actually be my very first interview for a teaching position! I dont expect to get it given my lack of hands on experience but I need the interview experience so I want to really give it my best shot. I have plenty of experience with children in other capacities so I'm confident in my abilities to handle children with sensitivity and respect and I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience during my study. I'm just nervous about questions such as how I would plan my day as I dont really have the experience to answer that. I'm feeling a bit panicy about making a fool of myself and coming accross as not knowing what I'm talking about.[b:3chwmyrn] I have such a passion for this profession and I'm really eager to get started in my new career[/b:3chwmyrn]![/quote:3chwmyrn] see if you said this too me in an interview, i would give you the job. having the passion for soemthing is all the experience you need. you have to start somewhere....and why not let this be the job for you. dont have the attitude that your not going to get it. give it your all. planning your day.... think of your time table between 9.15 and 12.15. include a topic of the week. ie washing hands, transport, manners center you art lessons around this, your circle time. your songs, your stories. tell them that you love singing, you will sing with the kids, tell stories etc. oh and that you love messy play! glupe, shaving foam, waterplay. any questions just ask!
[quote="*Smajra*":3chwmyrn]Thanks so much ladies. I'm newly qualified so this will actually be my very first interview for a teaching position! I dont expect to get it given my lack of hands on experience but I need the interview experience so I want to really give it my best shot. I have plenty of experience with children in other capacities so I'm confident in my abilities to handle children with sensitivity and respect and I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience during my study. I'm just nervous about questions such as how I would plan my day as I dont really have the experience to answer that. I'm feeling a bit panicy about making a fool of myself and coming accross as not knowing what I'm talking about.[b:3chwmyrn] I have such a passion for this profession and I'm really eager to get started in my new career[/b:3chwmyrn]![/quote:3chwmyrn] see if you said this too me in an interview, i would give you the job. having the passion for soemthing is all the experience you need. you have to start somewhere....and why not let this be the job for you. dont have the attitude that your not going to get it. give it your all. planning your day.... think of your time table between 9.15 and 12.15. include a topic of the week. ie washing hands, transport, manners center you art lessons around this, your circle time. your songs, your stories. tell them that you love singing, you will sing with the kids, tell stories etc. oh and that you love messy play! glupe, shaving foam, waterplay. any questions just ask!
Thanks July09. Mrspiggytobe, when you ask someone to present an exercise at the interview do you pick the exercise randomly or is there a particular area you would pick it from? Would you want a step by step description of a possible class schedule or would you want a general idea of what the morning would involve? With regards the stranger arriving for collection scenario, my personal instinct would be to ring a parent/guardian for confirmation if it had not been previously discussed with me but surely there would be a policy in place in each school for such an event so what would be the correct answer to that? My problem is that I have no experience with Pre-School Services Regulations so I dont know the strict guidelines that they need to adhere to yet. My own natural instincts may not be in line with these.
Mrspiggytobe Posts: 281
Hi Smarja, I would think something like a 3 period lesson, as it's used so much. With regards timetable, it wouldn't necesarily be a blow-by-blow account of the day, as most schools will have their own timetable in place anyway, more, like july 09 was saying to have a theme & bring it into all aspects of the day, (remember learing about the cosmic method, this is when it comes into play) so say you're doing the life cycle of the butterfly, your art could be to paint butterfly pictures, you could make a big frieze for the wall etc. With regards to a stranger coming to collect a child, you are right that each school will have their own policy & would be right to say that, but i would also be checking for cop on, would you know to ring the parents, and ask the person collecting for photo ID, and obviously make sure the child is familiar with the person. You are going to do great, please don't go into the interview thinking you're not going to get the job, i am a firm believer in positive attitudes, if you believe you can do something, you will do it! When is your interview? Is it in a school or a creche?
Sorry, didn't get back on since. It's a Montessori and creche in the same building. I had the interview on monday. It went well from my point but I haven't heard back from them yet. Can I ask what the normal starting off weekly wage would be for this position? What they said they'd offer if I get the job sounded quite low to be honest.