any nurses on?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Handymammy Posts: 1086
I need a quick opinion on whether I need to see GP or not? I was out for a walk on Wednesday night at a forest park and the next day my calf was really itchy, red, swollen and the skin was hard. It was unbelievably itchy for about 4 days and whole calf stayed red and hard. I presumed it was a horsefly bite. Anyway last night I was jumping into shower and my whole calf has gone purple/red. Its like blood had come to the surface and so I am wondering if it is just bruising from when I scratched. It is still very hot and so I think maybe I have gotten an infection from it. here is a picture that I can find that is closest to what mine looks like although mine is more red and takes up entire calf: [img:3pr5cynw]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2530560211_c913360d57.jpg[/img:3pr5cynw] BTW I am pregnant so maybe they would not be able to give me anything anyway?
Lenni Posts: 133
Hi, you poor thing, I am not a nurse but would definatly advise you to go to the doctor. It is prob just a reaction to a bite but you might need anti biotics, and with being pregnant I wouldnt take any chances. Do you remember giving it a bang or anything. Please lets no what you decide to do and how you get on?
crazyinlove78 Posts: 933
Why don't you post pic of your actual bruise as opposed to another random bruise?? :innocent:
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
Get to a doctor asap! is there any bite/puncture site? any bullseye formation in it? could be tick/spider bite you are obvo allergic to it/having bad reaction. if left untreated could cause bad infection/strep. and you are pregnant? dont hang around!!
Handymammy Posts: 1086
went to GP and she thinks its nothing- just that I might have broken a blood vessel when scratching and the blood is just tracking now. She told me to keep an eye on it though just in case
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
phew! keep an eye on it and maybe put ur legs up!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
not a nurse but sounds like celulitus (sp) ??