Any other Irish mums to be not living in Ireland?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama2 Posts: 1230
Hi Guys, I was just wondering if there are any other mums to be not living in Ireland at the moment? I'm expecting our first baby in August and we're living in Poland. We've been here for almost a year now. We moved for DHs job, he's also Irish. I'm just wondering how you're finding being pregnant and not having any family or old friends around. We also have the language barrier to deal with as neither of us speak great Polish although we are trying to learn. We are finding the health care great and I've had 5 scans so far. Here you see your obstetrician every month and he gives a scan on every visit so it's fantastic from that point of view. Hopefully I'm not the only one in this boat :wv
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
Hi Jejum, I'm in the UK so no language barrier but I do miss the family.. your antenatal care sounds amazing! I am having a private scan done in a few weeks, but think I would get only two here. It must be so nice to see the changes in the scan month on month! I don't think I'll ever be seen by an obstetrician (unless something goes wrong :eek ) I'm sure there must be other Wollie mums-to-be in non-English speaking countries?
Baby Babs Posts: 2596
I'm one. I'm in Germany. And I just got my BFP, so it's first post here officially pregnant. I'm due in 25th Nov. So looks like Christmas will be here in Germany Healthcare here is great too. I also will get loads of scans. All very routine here. I when through a missed miscarriage too here with a d&c, and the care was great. So I hope it goes well this time around. Although I worry about feeling alone and without support of family. But I know at least one wollie nearby although we haven't met personally, she was great helping me with some local knowledge of hospitals. All that info you take for granted at home, it is extra hard with language barriers, and lack of local knowledge but it is possible. But I'm really excited too and I will have to double up on my homework. *)
theoracle Posts: 7664
Hi jejum! I am sort of in the reverse situation as I am not irish but living here, however language is not an issue, but missing friends/family is. I have lived abroad in many countries so I know where you are coming from in terms of living in a country with a different language and you can end up feeling very isolated. The positive side of things it that such situation will push you into being more assertive and you will probably end up making friends from many different countries who are also ex-pats in Poland. My top tips from meeting other english speaking people in a non-english speaking country are: - joining a British Council Library - I got to meet a lot of people that way, plus they used to organise cultural events at which it was possible to 'mingle' - attending chamber of commerce events (american, irish, canadian, british)- again even if you are not that interested in the subject matter, it doesn't matter, but you are bound to make a lot of acquaintances that way - an irish pub, in my experience there is one in every country. There are porbably ex-pats forums also (I did my moving about before the internet/e-mail era!), so I hope you can find someone to connect with there, I always found it invaluable to have somebody locally to have a chat with and go for a cuppa! Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.
Neox Posts: 50
I'm another mum to be living abroad. I'm in Spain and I'm nowhere near any ex pats! Were here because of DH's job. He's also Irish. The healthcare here seems fantastic but the language barrier is a real nuisance. I have a bit of Spanish but it definitely doesn't cover any medical terms! I had my first visit with my midwife last week and she spent most of the appointment laughing at me and my DH because we didn't understand her. Not very encouraging!
Baby Babs Posts: 2596
Noex, that is tough. One advice is to buy the Spanish version of pregnancy books with easy text just to get familiar with terminology and procedures. My German has actually deteriorated not that it was great to begin with but I hope to get some of back but at least and not care about funny way I put things in German as long as it understood. I hope you can find someone who you feel comfortable with and always have someone to fall back to for help with the language for the piece of mind.
Aquafina Posts: 354
I'm also in a similar situation, though we're in the US and, therefore, have no language barrier to contend with. Just the complicated health insurance system! One of my main worries is the childcare situation. It would be nice and a lot easier to have family around for that, but I'm sure we'll cope! We'll just have to learn to trust people......which is something that all new parents, regardless of where they live, have to do!
Mama2 Posts: 1230
The biggest worry I have at the moment is what we're going to do with our parents after the birth. I'm not crazy about the idea of coming home to a house full of people but I know that they will want to see the new baby as soon as possible. Anyone have any ideas?
LMR Posts: 1925
I'm living in Vietnam and will be having the baby in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia). Have to say I'm a bit concerned about the latter stages of pregnancy and the first while after the baby is born as I'll be on my own in KL whilst H is here with work and he will travel over for the weekends (and will have 2 weeks off with me when baby is born). Whilst I'm getting terrific care and have had loads of scans which is great for the peace of mind right now, I do worry about being 10,000 miles away form my family and support network. My advice is try and find women in your position now and get to now them, I've already joined a baby group and the majority of us are currently pregnant and knowing that you're not going through it alone and discussing where to get this and that really makes a lot of difference. Good luck ladies
spanish mum Posts: 2468
Like Neox, i´m abroad, living in Spain also. I speak spanish passably, though to start with it was difficult as the pregnancy words were all new to me! However, I soon learnt the extra words needed, and had no problems here. I have just given birth in a spanish hospital and spent 6 nights there (needed a Cesaréa) and received excellent care throughout my pregnancy and afterwards. O-O