Any predictions for the budget?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hepburn Posts: 4081
I've heard big cars are going to have the b'jaysus taxed out of them to try to cover some of the stamp duty shortfall. Stamp duty reform might be announced too...about 6 months too late for me! Starting in 20 minutes.
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
[quote="Hepburn":39ls954k]I've heard big cars are going to have the b'jaysus taxed out of them to try to cover some of the stamp duty shortfall. [b:39ls954k]Stamp duty reform might be announced too[/b:39ls954k]...about 6 months too late for me! Starting in 20 minutes.[/quote:39ls954k] This is what I'm sooooo keeping my fingers crossed for!!!
Sorry...it' on at 3.20pm.
I hope it happens for you...
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
Ah sure no doubt it'll be the same as every other year ....give to you with one hand and take it back with the other.
newkid30 Posts: 2233
It'll be interesting to see what happens as regards to cars. If they tax SUVs they will have to tax ALOT of estate cars. There was a thing on Top Gear a few weeks ago, and VW estate, and BMW and AUDI were just as bad as SUVs in terms of emissions etc. I have a REALLY bad feeling that they are going to put tax up! I know in the budget they said they wouldn't touch middle income bands, and that they would introduce a higher level tax, but they have lost so much on SD and they won't make it up this year, hope it's not too bad. Would love to see more childcare benefits, as am TTC. BIG talk of removing cap on PRSI for higher earners too, I think this will change for definite!
Shin Posts: 8515
Too true mrsjaykay It's a reshuffling that's all. I'll say one thing though, our tax/paye system isn't as bad compared to that of our other european counterparts. England you get creamed on tax as in France. Saying that though, it's without doubt an expensive country to live in (Ireland that is). But back to what i predict....I predict that Bertie will upgrade to a hardcore titanium helicopter so that that when someone tries to bomb him outta the sky it'll be practically foolproof.
dreamer Posts: 3941
This is what I have heard so far! He looks set to significantly up the tax on so-called gas guzzlers!! [i:158ys08s]Rumours[/i:158ys08s] of stamp duty reform on second hand homes. Increases in social welfare and pension payments. Small increase in tax bands to keep low income workers out of the tax net. Increase in the price of cigarettes. .........and then the usual - more spending on roads,education and the Health service. Anyway, we don't have long to wait!
I don't think we will see anything for childcare this year as we got the €1,000 last year. Have to say I wouldn't mind Tax going up if we saw a huge improvement in our healthcare as a result. Look at Germany...high taxation but cradle to the grave excellent healthcare. I am increasingly aware of this worry as my parents age.
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="Hepburn":3e43reir] Have to say I wouldn't mind Tax going up if we saw a huge improvement in our healthcare as a result. Look at Germany...high taxation but cradle to the grave excellent healthcare. I am increasingly aware of this worry as my parents age.[/quote:3e43reir] Well said Hepburn. Most people think only of themselves at budget time, and fail to see the broader picture. I couldn't agree more with your comment here.