Any problems when the band doesn't provide DJ??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

emlo Posts: 1506
Hi all Just wondering if any brides out there came across any problems at your reception (or any reception) when the DJ wasn't provided by the band? I've heard of cases where the band won't allow an external DJ to set up while they are playing or not enough room on the stage for the bands speaker's and the DJ's speakers to be set up at the same time (causing the DJ to have to set up after the band have left - this in turn creating a gap between band and DJ). Thanks :thnk
mayday1 Posts: 219
Hi, Our band is not providing DJ service but has recommended ones to us that they have worked with before which we were fine with. Some bands that provide a DJ service do so to get an extra few quid but the quality is not great so we was happy to get a band and DJ separately. The DJ will be setting up the same time as the band, I think don't think a band can object to a DJ setting up same time as them, Can they?
I did hear of that problem on this website mayday. The thing is if the DJ sets up the same time as the band, does that mean you're paying the DJ money for about 3 hours that he's not even playing music?
No the DJ we got will set up with band, offered to play our first dance if the band did not know it and we wanted original version, and he will play background music when/if band takes break and will play till 2.30am after band finished for flat fee of 400 euro.
see if the band we go with don't provide the DJ, we'd be hoping to get one for less than €400, as I'd say some of that money does go towards paying for them to be there from the beginning of the evening until the end although they only play for the last couple of hours. I'm a tigh-a*se! *)
:o0 My h2b's first impression was . . "thats a bit much, I was thinking more like 250 euro" . . but I rang around and couldn't get cheaper. But we are getting married in Kildare . . which is more like Dublin prices. If you are getting married down the country somewhere you might get cheaper
Irish Wedding DJ Posts: 1436
Hi, I think that most of the companies that serve provincial wedding venues are fairly familiar with the logistics and layouts of rooms to prepare themsleves for the venue that they are playing. I know persoanlly what venues require that bit extra, but rest assured no matter what time it takes to get the equipment installed that I will always be ready within one hour of the start time for the band. My consultation with the bride/groom prior to the night will ensure that I have enough information in my brief to ensure there is no break in the night and I prefer this because the loss of atmosphere would make my job so much harder. My typical schedule would be: Arrive: 10pm Equipment in room: 10:30 Installed and tested during teabreak: 11pm Commence: 11:45-12:00 Many Thanks, Ruairi Finnegan