Any regular Aer Lingus flyers?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
Myself my Husband and our DS aged 16 months are flying to London with Aer Lingus next week. Im just looking for some advice with regard checking in do we have to check in on line in advance of the flight or can we wait and go the old fashioned route once we get to the airport? If we have to check in on line how many hrs in advance of the flight can we do this? We will be checking in a bag at the airport. Also is it still 2 hrs before the flight leaves that we need to be in the airport? We are flying from shannon by the way. Any other advice/info greatly appreciated. Im a nervous flyer and this will be our DS first flight.
SunnyK Posts: 3834
Up till a few months ago you definitely didn't HAVE to check in on line prior to an Aer Lingus flight, but you could if you wanted to. And if you have luggage to check in anyway sure you'll be queuing at the desk for that so prob no point in checking in yourself on line. For a UK flight you are fine with about 1.5 hours before departure - but just be aware that its the start of holiday season and the check in queues might be long. Have fun! :compress
queen30 Posts: 1551
you can check in on line or at the airport, it might be best to check in on line (you can do this 30 hour before) as you can choose your seats in advance that way and if you have a baby with you this means that you can make sure you are all together without worrying about getting to the airport really early. are you checking in bags? if so there is usually a minimum bag drop off time (like 90 mins before the flight or soemthing but you should be able to find this out on the website).
SunnyK Posts: 3834
[quote="queen30":2d3jxnt9] if you have a baby with you this means that you can make sure you are all together without worrying about getting to the airport really early. [/quote:2d3jxnt9] Good thinking - I never thought of that!
Thanks for advice girls can i select our seats for free or does this cost extra? Thats why we went with Shannon Airport not Dublin as Shannon is so much quieter even in the holiday period and you can park right outside the door so much less stress than Dublin Airport.
queen30 Posts: 1551
if you want to select your seat prior to the 30 hr check in time you have to pay but if you are checking in within 30 hours before your flight you dont have to pay to choose seats. generally the ones right at the front might be gone as people pay to book them early but you'll pretty much have the rest of the plane to choose from and means you can chill out a bit.
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
hi there, you can check in at the airport, SNN tends to be much quieter theses days, so the queues shouldn't be too long!! they recommend 1.5 hours before your flight, just remember that check-in closes 45 minutes before your scheduled deaparture time. are you on an early morning flight? it might be worthwhile doing as the others suggested and checking-in on line, so not only can you get your seats together, but check-in in SNN doesn't open till 5am. then you can just drop your bag, and enjoy shannon airport :o0 one thing i would say to you, if you are a nervous flier, get you OH to talk to you the whole way there, about anything, you'll notice less!! and maybe say to the onboard crew you're a bit nervous, and ask the to reassure you from time to time, and just check on you, i get people asking me that nearly everyday, and don't mind it at all. and for baby, maybe dress him in his pj's so he's comfy, bring his favourite toys(s) in case he gets fidgety(sp?), and if he still has a soother or bottle, if not, bring something for him to suck on descent and landing, as thats when they're ears pop, bless them, and the constant sucking on something will help to re-balance out the inner ear fluid that causes that pain, they don't know to do it themselves so thats why it's advisable to feed them,make them suck something to help.
Thanks a mil for all the help girls we are not flying too early i chose the flights wisely so DS can get his nap at home before we leave so not flying until after 5pm Fri evening and back on the Monday afternoon too. He has a soother alright but no bottle. Im thinking of getting a portable dvd player so he can watch Barney on the flight and this might keep his busy but then again he is so nosy he might just spend the whole flight trying to look around him and see everyone on the plane and see whats going on.
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
dvd players are a great idea, but usually when i see baby's on flight they're looking around at everything!! and the people sitting behind/around usually fascinate them and usually play with them too...i know i do anytime there's little ones on my flights :-8 sometimes forget i'm in work!! it's a short flight so he should be grand, more excited than anything!!