Any suggestions to get rid of a cough

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lainey123 Posts: 10
Hi Ladies, I've been feeling pretty awful on and off for two weeks with a sore throat, runny nose, etc., but the worst is this bloody awful cough that's keeping me awake all night! I've tried honey and lemon, even resorted to Lemsip ( pharmacist said it was ok as I'm 19 weeks now) so I finally gave in and I went to the doc yesterday begging for drugs ( makes me sound like an addict of some sort but all I want is a good night's sleep!) She went through all my symptoms and said I have an "asthma induced cough". I've never had asthma before but she gave me an inhaler and I might as well be sucking on a straw for relief. I'm at the stage now where I'm actually vomiting ( sorry TMI) after I've eaten cos I'm coughing so much. I'm not usually one to feel so sorry for myself but I just need to sleep. I work part time anyway so only took yesterday and today off. I'm keeping my poor DH and DS awake at night with all the racket. Does anyone know of anything that I can take ( echinecea don't mind th spelling- is not recommended for us preggie girls) Thanks ladies
theoracle Posts: 7664
Allthough this might just ease the symptoms rather than do away with them try rubbing in some vicks vaporub on your chest or put a teaspoon in a bowl of hot water to inhale. I found this to be an absolute life-saver when I had the longest cold ever during my first pregnancy.
Mammypig Posts: 832
put your head over a bowl of steam. its the only thing that works for me!
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
Hot water with lemon and loads of kiwi's and apples juice for vitamin c worked on my last cold.
chicam Posts: 1169
I agree with the menthol and head over a bucket of steaming water, it worked wonders for a cold I had a few weeks ago.
Rocky Posts: 465
I had cold for past 3 and 1/2 weeks. finally got olbas oil and have it on tissue during the night. i nearly sure it has helped to get rid of my cough and definitley my constant blocked nose, see if it works for you. you can also use it with boling water to ger vapour from it rocky
HAPPYBEE Posts: 118
Hi Lainey I had a cough a few weeks ago and was all stuffy. Was up all night with it. I went to the chemist and asked for Vicks Vapor Rub. I mentioned that I was pregnant and she double checked with the pharmacist Who came out to me. She told me that she worked in a Maternity Hos in the USA and they wouldn’t advise Vicks Vapor Rub. She gave me a cough bottle (sugar free) which she said was safe. I will get you the name of it tomorrow as I can’t remember the name. I was told to take the adult dosage but the minute I felt better I was to go back to the children’s dosage. If you can’t wait until tomorrow, go in to chemist and ask them about it. Box is white with a pink colour on it… HAPPYBEE
Babybop. Posts: 592
I agree with all the other girls Vicks and steam works wonders, also i have at least 3 cups of soup a day when im sick and it works great.
Perci Posts: 3847
I've just bought a Vicks Vapouriser (bought it from McCabes Pharmacy) that you plug in at night time and gives out warm steam to ease breathing and coughing during the night. It seemed to help my DS last night so might be worth a go.