ANY WATERFORD MUM'S OUT THEIR GOING PUBLIC

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

brideofjune6 Posts: 199
Hi Girl's, Just wondering as i am going public and just gotten my letter for 1st Scan, just wondering what the gynacolgist are like out in Waterford Reginal . I know it will be whatever one is on on the night i go into labour or probably a midwife will deliver baby just wondering what Dr. O Donell is like have him for my scan's. Thanks Girls Brideofjune6 :thnk :thnk :wv :wv
jjewel Posts: 691
I have a 4 month old and had her under public system in Wrh. To be honest you probably won't meet O Donnell unless there's an issue. I only met him in the last few weeks because the other docs thought baby might be quite big so I saw him for a scan. He's very nice. Most of your visits you'll see a midwife and whatever doctors are there. Had no problem with any of the doctors, there was one who's a bit old fashioned and doesn't go in for chit chat but she's not too bad! If you have questions keep a note of them because the visits are quite quick and easy to forgot what you wanted to ask. One tip is to be early for the appointment - they start a list and it's first come first served, I used to arrive about 20/30 mins early so I wouldn't be waiting too long. When you arrive if the receptionist isn't there there's normally a piece of paper on the desk so stick your name on it!
Hi JJewel, Thanks for reply and congratulations on your baby girl, will definetly go so 20 or 30 mins early thanks for that.
jjewel Posts: 691
No problem! Best of luck...... I found the public care great and had no regrets over not going private (had agonised over it for a while!)
niamh086 Posts: 119
Hi am going private in Waterford so go to the Whitfield.Went to the regional for booking in scan and everyone was lovely.O Donnell is supposed to be the nicest man and thats who we tried to book We are under Bermingham who is v sarcastic but we absolutely clicked with him so am v happy!!!Good luck with the baby!!!
oddwire Posts: 842
Hi, I'm in WRH but private under Dr O'D (for the second time!) and he's absolutely fantastic, the nicest guy you could meet! Have lots of friends who have been under the public care system there and they are full of praise for it, but as jjewel said you probably won't actually meet your consultant unless there's a problem or you need to be induced / have a section etc. (One friend only met a consulant on her third child as everything had gone fine previously but she went over on her third so had a consultation about induction.) Every midwife I've met in WRH has been great. For the appointments I agree about turning up early. Was waiting in the outpatients area for my booking in appointment and it seemed to me that so many people get given an appt for (say) 11am, then it's first come first served until 12pm when a fresh wave arrived. The place started filling up at about quarter to every hour as everyone tried to beat the rush. (maybe I 'm wrong here but that's how it looked!) Best of luck with it!
StellaBella Posts: 432
Hi, I went public in WRH under Dr O'D and he is a gent.. i never met him until the morning of my induction where he said to me that this day was the most exciting day since my first communion.. he really made me laugh!! Well he was wrong, cause I didn't have her till the following day and that day was way better than my first communion!! I think going private is not worth it, unless you have had a problematic pregnancy etc. The public care in WRH is excellant.. the midwives are lovely, and the doctors are grand aswell... as for appointments I had alot of afternoon appointments for 2pm, and I would't go out there till 4pm and that way i was always out by 5pm.. and would get a seat no problem as most of the ladies are gone through!!
Hi Girl's, Thank you all for the replie's :thnk :thnk :thnk :wv so i will only really see O' Donnell for scans, which i suspected or if their is complications, I actually thought i was going with Dr. Birgminham only rang their last week and they said it was with O' Donnell, they don't take blood or anything do they on your 1st scan, just other wollie's were saying the hospital's they were with they do blood history, I don't recall anyone telling me that though in WRH. Its nice to see others that have went with WRH, because before i got pregnant lots of girl's would tell me horrible story's about deliver and afterwards, :duh: :duh: kind of gutted i even listened know. Saying that everyone is different so hopefully i will be fine . Thanks again girl's for replie's, :thnk :thnk :thnk :wv :wv Brideofjune6
niamh086 Posts: 119
Hi Oddwire quick question.I am under Bermingham privately and only went out to the hospital for my booking in appointment at twenty weeks.Is that the only time I will go out there before Babs arrives?You are lucky to have O Donnell,heard he is a dote!!Having said that I really clicked with Dr B.He is very sarcastic and so he suits myself and Hubby v well!!! Brideofjune I got bloods taken when I went for the Booking in appointment.My Gp was being cautious taking bloods every visit as sugar in urine plus history of Diabetes but all is well!!!Good luck to all of us :wv
oddwire Posts: 842
Niamh - that's right, I was only in outpatients 7 for booking in, next time I was there was to be monitored at 42wks, which was in maternity area. Dr O'Donnell is lovely, great craic, but I have a friend who had 4 under Dr B and thinks he's great - she said you either get his humour or not so if ye clicked then that's perfect. On both pregnancies my GP did full bloods at first visit and if you bring the results of this to your booking in appt you don't have to go and get them done in hospital which saves a bit of time on the day. We also did the ante natal classes at the hospital and found them quite good - can't remember the name of the midwife that runs them but she was lovely (Anette maybe?). I can't fault the level of care or standard of hygiene etc I experienced in WRH after having the baby, and I'd heard stupid stories as well. It was really busy when I was there but the midwives were great - I felt bad about having to call them for anything but they were so good about it. Sorry, forgot that I also had to get glucose tested at 26(?) wks on first pregnancy which was done in the main hospital, this was an all morning thing which was a nuisance. If you have to get this done Niamh I'd try to get it done at your GPs...